Author Topic: So how do you do it? (Prevent rusting in wet conditions)  (Read 6421 times)

Offline borderdogs

Re: So how do you do it? (Prevent rusting in wet conditions)
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2020, 07:38:51 AM »
I have had some great adventures shooting in the snow. I use to go with my brothers, brother in law, and some friends to an old farm way back in the Catskills behind Hunter mountain. We once went up in late Feb drove as far as we could and hiked a couple miles to get to where the property was. There was two feet of snow and we camped out. Cooked out on the fire, steaks, hot dogs, tin foil wrapped potato's with all the makings. At night we played cards told dirty jokes, and cleaned our guns. During the day we shot  long guns at plywood targets most were percussion I had a flint plains rifle I made. although we had tents and sleeping bags and sleeping mats, with the accumulating snow, fire and long guns it had the feeling of being "primitive". It snowed all weekend and we had a couple mile hike out to the trucks but it was great fun. That was near 40 years ago and unfortunately we had no camera so no pictures.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, everyone there back then seemed to have their own slightly different way of keeping their rifles clean and rust free.
Rob
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:53:55 PM by borderdogs »

Offline RichG

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2020, 09:12:44 PM »
Mike, I grew up in Corvallis and used to shoot at the club in McMinnville so I feel your pain. We always used Break free for rust protection and never had a problem. I would think Rem oil and other similar products would work. Never used Ballistal. plain floor wax on wood.

Offline mtmannh

• Starting Member
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:37 AM »
Hornady One Shot. Sprays on wet, dries to a clean non greasy finish. Use it a lot, no smell and highly rated I rust prevention tests.