Author Topic: FFFG powder  (Read 1392 times)

Offline borderdogs

FFFG powder
« on: December 30, 2019, 10:11:47 PM »
Hi Guys,
I have a new custom made .32 plains rifle that I am getting ready to try out. I am going to try a couple of different sized balls and patch thicknesses to see what it likes. But I have a question about powder. I have about 10lbs of FG and about 12lbs of FFG but nothing smaller. I have used the FG and FFG in .58 Springfield rifled muskets and assorted other ML over the years. I was wondering what were the thoughts on using FFG in this rifle?
Rob

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: FFFG powder
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »
In the small bore of a .32, FFG powder will not give you the best velocity, and will be very dirty.  I suppose if it is all you got, you may as well try it, but i would suggest trading some of your FFG powder for FFFG.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 10:24:20 PM »
I agree. Try to swap for some 3f.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »
If you cannot swap it out with someone for 3F, I'd suggest use it until you can get 3F.
As to dirty, I doubt that, personally. I've used 2F in .40 and .36 without noticing any more
dirty shooting, but then, with the loads we use, there is no buildup of fouling, except on the
outside of the barrel around the lock.
I would think about 40gr. of 2F should give the equivalence of 35gr. 3F, which just happened to
be the accuracy load in my .32 (48" twist).
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:08:23 AM »
I have shot 2f Swiss and Goex in 32 and 36 calibers and they work but got much better groups using 3F. I will say however that 2F Swiss worked a little better than 2F Goex in my guns. Buy some 3F when you get a chance.

Offline mushka

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 01:24:29 AM »
If you still shoot bigger bores with the coarser powders, are you able to buy powder locally?  I only shoot 20-25 grns 3F in my 32.  Adequate for small game to about 35 to 40 yards.  One pound of 3F will last a long time unless you shoot really frequently.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 01:42:26 AM »
I also suggest you find someone to trade with. Need to use the 3F.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 03:35:28 AM »
I still shoot big bore and big bore BPCR too. I would trade with someone for FFFG but other than buying it from some place like the Maine Powder House here in NH black powder is not easy to find.......at least for me it hasnt been.
Rob