Author Topic: .62 Cal pistol to compliment a NW trade gun  (Read 2154 times)

Bebedore

.62 Cal pistol to compliment a NW trade gun
« on: December 27, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »
I am looking for a .62 Cal pistol to compliment a NW trade gun. I am trying to stick to 1750 to 1800 time frame for rendezvous, but to also have something to join in pistol matches. I would prefer to stick to 20 gauge to reduce the number of things in my shooting pouch. Google has not been very helpful in finding a production gun or someone to custom make a pistol.
From my research, a French dragoon or one of the queen Anne style pistols would likely fit best. The closest I have seen is the pedersoli an ix or an xiii. Both are .69 Cal which might be close enough with a heavy patch. Any recommendations for someone selling pistols that fit what I am looking for or someone who would make one?

Offline Notchy Bob

Re: .62 Cal pistol to compliment a NW trade gun
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 11:08:58 PM »
Armslist has a Trade Pistol by North Star West for sale:  NSW Trade Pistol.

The vendor is The Gun Works, in Oregon.  The pistol is described as .58 caliber or 24 gauge, which is not what you requested, but this may be as close as you'll get, and it appears otherwise to be just the type of pistol for which you are looking.  I have a NSW Northwest gun, and the workmanship is excellent.  You don't see their guns on the used market very often... The people who own them generally want to keep them.

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline rollingb

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 12:24:19 AM »
Armslist has a Trade Pistol by North Star West for sale:  NSW Trade Pistol.

The vendor is The Gun Works, in Oregon.  The pistol is described as .58 caliber or 24 gauge, which is not what you requested, but this may be as close as you'll get, and it appears otherwise to be just the type of pistol for which you are looking.  I have a NSW Northwest gun, and the workmanship is excellent.  You don't see their guns on the used market very often... The people who own them generally want to keep them.

Notchy Bob

I can attest to that,.... I have a .62 NSW Trade Pistol paired up with a .62 NSW Trade Gun, and neither are for sale.

Fact is, I actually have two NSW Trade guns in .62,.... and if one of them was a .58 I'd be hot after the one in Notchy Bob's link.  :)
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 11:58:00 AM »
You could look at the kits that muzzleloader builders supply offers, wouldn’t be exact, but you could get really close to that pistol
only flintlocks remain interesting..

richs

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 06:09:29 PM »
Check with Larry Zornes in Jackson, Ohio.  I purchased a F&I French pistol kit from him and then asked him to have someone put it together.  He had a friend (I don't know his name) put the kit together.  Did everything in 2 1/2 months and total purchase amount came to under $1000.  No engraving or anything fancy but a good pistol that shoots well, all things considered.
Rich

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 07:52:47 PM »
Here's a pistol you can have for $900.  I helped my friend Sam put this together in the early eighties.  .60 cal, fast twist barrel, English walnut stock, small Siler lock, simple trigger.
If you're shooting a .590" or .595" ball in your smoothie, that'd be perfect for this pistol.  It is in 'as new' condition - shot very little.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.