Author Topic: Morphy Auction Jan 16  (Read 5746 times)

Offline blienemann

Re: Morphy Auction Jan 16
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 08:15:56 PM »
Thank you Bruce, for your comments.  Yes, this is an early rifle, and desirable in that way.

The suggestion I offered in both volumes was that here is a rifle that seems related, but without the care and skill of a master stocker or someone under his control.  We don't think Albrecht had any formal apprentices in Bethlehem ca 1750 - 59.  I mentioned Joseph Haberland as an option, and to encourage open minds.  It is good to compare the rifles with the records.  Haberland was listed as the only gunstocker in 1756 in Bethlehem - right in the middle of the earlier war.  If he was assigned to the shop with the locksmiths, and IF Albrecht was totally busy with teaching, something like this might have resulted, with Haberland the mason working on his own, maybe using a stock pattern and mounts in the shop.  All speculation, but fun.  This could make it even earlier.  :) 

Or it could be a stocking or restocking as Eric mentions.

At any rate a connection to earlier days, and to be appreciated.  Thanks, Bob

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 10:25:14 PM »
About 25 years ago this rifle was in the inventory of Little John's Antique Guns in the city of Orange CA. I looked at it then and thought it be somewhat crude. It was supposed at that time that it had been made in the south. High art or not, there are some curious features on the gun, the arrangement of the box lid being the most notable then. Always wondered too, how someone managed to break off half of the hammer screw.
There is a wonderful pile of rocks in this auction, and I have seen and held many of them.
All fine guns to be sure. But, the diamond in the pile to me is the J.Ferree rifle, likely made by him early in Lancaster. It is a screamer of a rifle! Having said that I doubt that it will follow me home anytime soon.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 02:45:34 AM »
Bruce - what rifle did you own that is comparable?  I'm wondering if it was one I examined at KRA @ 2003 or 4, one that George had written up although I don't remember when.  It was a wood box rifle with somewhat of a roman nose, but a big beast of a rifle with a long tg spur and I also think it was similar in being probably a war-era "quickie" to get the job done.  Would love to see pics if you have any.

Something to consider - most of these old guns have been refinished, and most multiple times.  Some of the roughness seen *may* not be original work but may possibly be heavy sanding or otherwise by a later, unskilled refinisher.  I've sure seen a lot of Winchesters, Marlins etc. that look like some kid took 80 grit paper to them and then just finished them out that way, and likely, some of these old flinters have suffered the same.  If it was done 75 or 100 years ago it would still look really old by now.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline vanu

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 04:07:19 AM »
Eric,

I owned the rifle  in Georges article, it is in Volume I of the compilation of Muzzle Blast's "Longrifles of Note" series pp 46-47.
Mine was indeed a big robust rifle, the trigger-guard is as you describe, actually, Jon Laubach borrowed it and made several casings (I still have the first one out of the mold that Jon gave me as thanks for the loan), which by the way seem to have multiplied over the years!

My rifle fits the scenario you described for stock refinishing (skinned), likely done in the 40's-50's based on ownership; in fact  I worked up a mild stain (i think using alcohol as a carrier) with Wallace Gusler's help to tone it down. Further, in an attempt to not exacerbate the damage already done by a previous owner (chop sawed the fore stock), i carefully spliced in a 14-16" piece to the stock from the second ramrod pipe to the muzzle. I think Carl Pippert did the flint conversion, looked like his early work, nicely done.

So Eric, if any of this sounds familiar, you indeed were looking at my old rifle! I passed on my photos of the rifle to the purchaser,  even took before/after shots, because i think recording honest restoration or conservation is extremely important to pass on to future collectors, unfortunately i cant find the negatives. Possibly whoever owns  the gun currently still has them...but I do have the TG!

Bruce

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 05:10:39 AM »
I don't have the consolidated articles books but I have saved most of George's articles going back to the late 1980s.  The rifle I'm thinking about was November 1993, "An Early Rifle of Eastern Pennsylvania."  Now that I look at it again, I see George mentioned the architectural similarity to #43 to some extent.  I'd agree, to my eye it looks like a somewhat roughed-out Oerter or rifle of that type that was then finished up as-is, without moldings at the lower butt to create the very sight step typical to Oerter's work.

I think this is a picture perfect example of a rifle that may have been stocked up in Allentown ca. 1777-1779 at the "gun factory" (factories) for war usage.  Also I think it does show some similarities to the Morphy rifle.

I also remember when I picked it up I almost needed hernia surgery.  What a stout mother!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline vanu

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 05:29:56 AM »
Eric,

Thats it! The Nov 1993 article discuses the rifle I owned until 1987. Was/is  a really nice arm of the period, I do agree with you that this is a related form to the upcoming sale rifle, I also agree with the Allentown attribution and likely War production. Although it has condition issues, its a great companion/comparison piece for Lot # 1161; would be nice to have been able to keep it in the collection.

Bruce

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »
Looks like Pennsylvania Longrifles have not lost their appeal to collectors.  Auction estimates were mostly reached.
Sometimes well exceeded and a few didn't get there, but it was fun to watch.  That Susquehanna auction had some
stunners in longrifles and other arts.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online spgordon

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 09:27:52 PM »
I had hoped to make it but did not.

What did the one attributed to Oerter go for? And when Dan was announcing the lot, did he say anything about the "correction"?
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 10:33:14 PM »
The attributed rifle went for $11k or so.

Highly decorated signed Golden Age guns sold for plenty.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 02:54:33 AM »
did any body note What did the Peter Berry rifle end up going for?
Dave Blaisdell

WESTbury

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 03:05:24 AM »
Dave--- It sold for $12,300.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 02:07:09 AM »
Thank you for that info. 
Dave Blaisdell