Author Topic: Any fans of French stuff here?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Any fans of French stuff here?
« on: December 28, 2019, 05:16:46 AM »
Ok, it seems that there is not a lot of information on the interwebz about French accessories for muzzleloaders. Did they use horns or other forms of powder storage? Since it seems the Fusil De Chasse was as much a civilian musket as much as it was a hunting gun, did they use a musket style box or belt box for their ammunition or did they use the good ole bag like most everyone else? Anyway, it would be interesting to see what the learned folks around here know about this stuff, since it does seem that French Fusil parts have been found in most of the massive middle section of this continent.
Psalms 144

Offline Kevin

Re: Any fans of French stuff here?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 05:49:31 AM »
Greetings Clark B,

It's not much but maybe it will get the conversation started.  The "Voyager's Sketchbook" by James A. Hanson includes a drawing of a "1700 period French powder flask" and and another of a "French Canadian Powder Horn."

I do not own any of the sketchbook style publications that focus on the French & Indian war era.  Does anyone know if these sorts of items are covered in any of them?

Also, are there any particular works by period artists that show such goods?

Kevin

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »
I suggest you research a French colonial reenactment groups.  They are usually very well researched.  You might want to check out FrontirFolk re-enactment board online.  I believe they have a board devoted exclusively to all things French-Canadian colonial.  The board as a whole is not very active as it used to be but the years of posts are archived.  You probably have a solid week’s worth a reading just from the archives.  You can also post your specific questions and maybe someone will respond.  Good luck.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 04:34:56 PM »
You specified the F & I war, so that helps.  I'm assuming you are talking about the "milice " ?   Take a look at Colonialbaker.net    Lots of info there.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 04:38:09 PM »
French arms and accoutrements are not my main focus, but I am interested.  In addition to the sources suggested above, I would recommend the book, Sketchbook '56, Volume II:  The French Marines, by Ted Spring.  It depicts quite a variety of arms and equipment used by the French Marines during the period of the Seven Years War.  I think some hard-core reenactors have criticized Mr. Spring's research, but rubes like me don't know the difference.  The art work is not the greatest, but it is similar to that of the other better-known "sketchbooks."  I have a copy, and would recommend it.  Track of the Wolf has it for $9.99... Cheap by today's standards.

In another thread recently, someone mentioned a French pistol kit from Larry Zornes of the Mould & Gun Shop.  I was not aware of this gun before.  It would be great if somebody could post a photo of one of these.  Old Hugh Monroe, known as "Rising Wolf" to his adoptive Piegan people, was known to have carried a French pistol back in the days of the fur trade, when he was employed by the Hudson's Bay Company.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
French is too generic.  You have to work down to an individual; ie, soldier, voyaguer, habitant, coureur de bois, trapper, trader, etc.  Then try to glean tidbits of info from a wide range of publications.  there are lots of books about the French presence from Atlantic Canada to the Great Lakes, WI, MN, down the MS river to Cahokia and Kaskaskia.  From forts on the Great Lakes thru the Chicago portage and down the IL river to the MS river and on down clear to New Orleans.

The French were everywhere inland and rather than try to conquer the natives, they tried to assimilate into the tribes. Later, many were part of the western fur trade.  Publications by the Museum of the Fur Trade is probably a good place to start.  Also, I think you can access the complete "Jesuit Records" online.  I downloaded them over 20 years ago. 
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson