Author Topic: Silver mounted Scabbard  (Read 2497 times)

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Silver mounted Scabbard
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 12:40:14 AM »
  I use 70% rubbing alcohol when I wet form. Most often that is enough on smaller sheaths to give good body. I use the cuir boulli heat treat if I want really hard leather.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:52:00 PM by LRB »

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 01:57:55 AM »
Very nice work Wick. Very clean and crisp don't know who is getting it but they will be very happy.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 02:21:50 AM »
Beautiful sheath. First class all the way!
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 08:22:42 PM »
Here are some photos of the progressive steps in making a scabbard tip/chape/drag. First two is of the two halves hammered to shape on the form and ground, then sanded to the wanted height on the side of the scabbard. The contacting edges have been sanded dead flat to fit together with no noticiable visible gaps when brazed. Silvaloy 355 silver braze will flow into the joint even though you may not see any noticeable light through the joint. However, I would recommend you not sand finer than 220 grit on the edge faces.

The photo below is the two halves held together in the desired position with fine steel wire, and fluxed, ready to be brazed.

This photo shows the two now as a unit, and the wire ground and sanded away. You can see that the length is yet to be fully determined and have the top trued.

Here, the top has been trued and most of the sanding and clean up is done

And here is the 99% finished piece. It only lacks a polishing buff progressing from black compound, to green chrome, to yellow jewelers rouge, and then it can be mounted to the scabbard with glue.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 09:02:35 PM by LRB »

Offline msellers

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 09:30:42 PM »
I want to thank you for showing your process, and describing everything in great detail. This is inspiring, and helpful for many I am sure. You are a masterful craftsman, and very skulled at this work.
Mike