Author Topic: The Bruton girls...  (Read 2186 times)

Offline looper

The Bruton girls...
« on: December 29, 2019, 09:26:33 AM »
I thought I'd share with ya'll some pictures of a couple of beauties by Don Bruton. The gun on the left is Don's personal gun, Hannah II. The one on the right is Caroline, which was my 50th birthday present from my sweet wife, Shasta. Both guns are built from the same South Carolina Black Walnut tree, cut in northern Pickens County, and air dried for 6 or 7 years.

Caroline has a Colerain 42" B weight 50 barrel, and a bridleless Chamber's Early Ketland lock. Don built her with brass mounts, which is pretty rare for a Bruton gun. He made the side plate, pipes, and one-piece nose cap out of sheet brass. The stain is Don's Secret Elixir and the finish is hand rubbed linseed oil. The pivoting patchbox lid is made from a piece of curly hickory cut from a blank from Bob Hill. The gun weighs 8 lbs 4 oz.  Another significant aspect of this gun is that is number 600 by Don's hand.

Hannah, has a Rayl 45" oct/rd 20 gauge barrel, and also a bridleless Chamber's Early Ketland. Don forged all of the iron mounts on this gun. The sliding patchbox lid is a hickory lid that has it's own story, but that's Don's to tell if he wants. He added a bit of patina to his gun.

As you can see, they both have several of Don's signature styling cues. They are subtle, but distinct, and I personally feel like they are the epitome of an Early Southern style flintlock. I feel honored to own one.

Offline BOB HILL

Re: The Bruton girls...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
Happy birthday, Cheney. Two outstanding pieces. I know you’ll cherish yours forever. Shasta sure chose a great gift for you. You’re fortunate to have such a fine friend and gunmaker for a neighbor.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »
Beautiful guns. Im fortunate to be able to say I own 2 Bruton Boone guns myself an are mighty proud of them. Dons guns are work guns without the fancy frills. In my opinion the beauty of them is in their lines an simplicity.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »
Those really are a couple of sweethearts.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
Absolute sweetness...love the lines of Don’s guns.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 07:57:31 PM »
 :) :)... I've always admired Don's work,... all have that "frontier" look you would expect a Carolina mountain rifle to have,...I talked with Don at length about 20 years ago about a build,.. never took that step,... Wish I had,.... CCF...

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 01:59:35 PM »
A couple of real beauties.  I just modified one of my guns to take the wood screw in the wooden patchbox, and it is the most convenient arrangement I have used on a wood box gun.  Dunno about HC/PC, but it sure works well and I won't lose the lid.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
Thank you for posting those beauties Cheney. Like two lovely sisters, it is hard to pick between them. I love the warm finishes and graceful lines.  God bless, Marc