Author Topic: Gun Show Hadaway Lock  (Read 4597 times)

Offline t.caster

Gun Show Hadaway Lock
« on: December 30, 2019, 07:07:51 PM »
Found these two items at a local mostly modern Gun & Knife Show yesterday.
An old concave curved spoke shave plane I have been looking for years to shape the concave cheek piece area. It is marked SNELL & ATHERTON on the blade. After cleaning and sharpening it worked pretty good!

The second was a new German style flintlock of which I had never seen, but the price was only $75 so I brought it home. The castings looked clean & sharp and the springs were stout and the whole thing was smooth operating, though it will need polishing & tuning of course. He had two of them & the guy, whom I had never met before, only lived a few miles from me. He said the locks were made by a company named A.C.E., whom I had never heard of either. After flipping the cut flint over, bevel up, it threw a great bunch of sparks right into the pan repeatedly!
Anyone know of this maker or used one of these locks?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:31:52 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline Kevin

Re: Gun Show Finds
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »
T.Caster,

The lock looks alot like a Haddaway.  Check out this tread:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=57400.msg573925#msg573925

Nice Finds,
Kevin

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 07:34:51 PM »
Yep. I knew I’d seen that stamp somewhere very recently. Nice lock.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
In it's day this may have been a decent lock, but in my view it's seriously lacking in a number of ways.  But, if it works and makes sparks this might be good enough.  This is an example of how things have progressed.   With work, I'm sure it could be improved, though.

All the best,
Jim

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »
Definitely heard of Haddaway locks back in the day. But these looked so brand new. He bought a bunch of ML accessories, like you see in sporting goods stores and didn't know anything about them.
Tom C.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 08:33:30 PM »
That's a nice lock, and it looks to be nearly new.  Nice score!
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 10:06:00 PM »
That looks like a Hadaway lock.  I have one on a Tennessee Mt Rifle that was made in the early 70's. 
iloco

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 01:36:30 AM »
That IS a Haddaway lock.They worked fine and I have never heard any hard remarks against them.

Bob Roller

Offline little joe

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 07:44:42 AM »
Haddaway was making these about 1970 and we most likly never heard of a C and C machine at that time. Used several and no trouble.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 08:33:12 AM »
“ in the day,”  this was a high quality lock.  Used  several, very happy with them.
Mike Mullins

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 06:30:28 PM »
Thanks for all the input, I have had a couple offers to sell it, but I am going to keep it. After I am done tuning it, it will be better than "just good enough" or I won't use it. Period. I have always used the best available locks and barrels on my longrifles and will continue to do so.
Tom C.

Offline iloco

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »
I broke 2 of those little springs at the rear of the inside of the lock.  I was able to get a few spares from Doc Hadaways wife who lived in Asheville NC at the time. That is only problem I have had with my lock.  Not sure if she is still liviing. She would be pretty old if she is.
iloco

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 02:40:37 AM »
I have a Hadaway on a rifle, works every time.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline t.caster

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 05:33:07 PM »
I'm surprised no one commented on the curved plane. I saw one in a farm museum last summer and thought having one would be the cat's meow! I've gotten a LOT of use from the other two as well. Had those at least 40 years.
Tom C.

Offline rickw

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »
Your curved spoke shave is really a leather-working tool. Snell and Atherton made tools for shoe making and leather working, and your curved spoke shave is really a heel shave for shaping the heels of shoes.
I used to have one. However, I never used it. I couldn't remove the blade to sharpen it. The two screws that hold it to the body were frozen in place, and the screw slots were messed up. So I never used it.
I hope that you can use yours. However, the mouth may be too wide to avoid tear-out, especially if you use it on curly maple. Sharpen it up and try it out, and let us know how it works!
Rick W

Offline Niall

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 09:40:38 PM »
I'm surprised no one commented on the curved plane. I saw one in a farm museum last summer and thought having one would be the cat's meow! I've gotten a LOT of use from the other two as well. Had those at least 40 years.

It's called a Cobbler's Heel Shave.I have one somewhere as well.......What I use for concave work is a wooden bodied  shave with a curved blade I made  for hollowing chair bottoms.....it's  called a travisher.
If the heel shave works for you.....Great

Offline t.caster

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 05:53:25 PM »
The heal shave worked OK on the cherry stock I am working on now, but I am also leery of using it on curly maple. But I will try it next time. I have to be very careful of grain direction with the other shaves too. Especially on very curly maple.
Tom C.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 06:37:01 PM »
A question...  Would it offend people if we talked about this lock and offered critiques?  This sort of thing seems to often be avoided because it might insult the manufacturer or builder.  As a result, I don't think people by and large understand locks.  If it generally looks like a lock and is shiny it's often considered good.  There is as much to understanding locks as there is to understanding a rifle stock and it's design.  Just some thoughts...

All the best,
Jim

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »
Go for it!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2020, 07:06:49 PM »
...  As a result, I don't think people by and large understand locks.  If it generally looks like a lock and is shiny it's often considered good.  There is as much to understanding locks as there is to understanding a rifle stock and it's design.  Just some thoughts...

All the best,
Jim

Let'er rip
Tater
Chip! 

For 75$ I'd buy a Germanic lock (not my style-generally) and see about making it reliable and install worthy (for a proper gun)- especially since Bob has spoken to the general soundness of such.  But I respect your opinions as well Jim, seems you have some on this particular design.
Hold to the Wind

Offline iloco

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2020, 07:09:51 PM »
Since I have a Hadaway lock I would like to hear critiques of it.
 I have wanted to change mine out to a Siler lock but never got around to it.  Good idea Jim.  Might want to start a new thread if the OP don't want it in this thread.
iloco

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 07:14:53 PM »
Hey Jim, there's another thread on this lock, might be the other one from the show--may as well start a new thread or we'll be chasing two discussion points for one lock.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=57400.msg573925#msg573925
Hold to the Wind

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
  All for it Jim. I know I have had problems with trying to fix certain locks.  Would much appreciate this information.

Oldtravler

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2020, 11:22:05 PM »
I used a Haddaway lock on the second rifle I built in 1976. Never had any problems with it but haven't used it for many years.  Since Doc died getting parts would be a major problem.  I seem to recall that he also made frizzens for either T/C or Lyman.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:47:14 PM by rick/pa »

Offline little joe

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 11:22:53 PM »
A question...  Would it offend people if we talked about this lock and offered critiques?  This sort of thing seems to often be avoided because it might insult the manufacturer or builder.  As a result, I don't think people by and large understand locks.  If it generally looks like a lock and is shiny it's often considered good.  There is as much to understanding locks as there is to understanding a rifle stock and it's design.  Just some thoughts...

All the best,
Jim

Good idea as long as it is done in a very respectful manner Doc has been gone for 42 yrs. He most likly was developing this lock in the 60,s as I was using them by 1972. I do admire fine workmanship such as what  Bob Roller has been doing for years. In 82 I had a large Siler perc. plate I  fitted a small Siler pan and frizzen to with large Siler hammer and internals and a home forged main spring with a Land R frizzen spring with a roller. I did all the heat treating to the parts. Mistakes, many, eye appealing, no way, ignition VERY fast and reliable and has lasted 38 yrs. Beauty is wonderful but sometimes not necessary. If any of you older shooters ever shot with J.L. Hargis , his equiptment was  Very plain but functioned well and was reliable.       
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:56:44 AM by Ky-Flinter »