Author Topic: Keeping rifle in the white  (Read 2221 times)

Offline nemovir

Keeping rifle in the white
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:07:47 PM »
I had my Kibler .32 smr for several month now.  Nothing wrong with it, but it is so long and awkward.  It's light, but I shake when I try to it shoot offhand.  Been dryfiring only since and believe I gotten used to it. I haven't finish it yet, but I want to fire it.
Is it ok to shoot it in the white?  I don't mean a few times, but multiple times.   ???  Even though I have the chemicals to finish, I have gotten used to it being in the white.  thinking about keeping that way.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Keeping rifle in the white
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 11:20:50 PM »
I have 1 or 2 that I have fired a couple thousand times in the white or as they say in the patina.  ;D

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 01:39:02 AM »
Agree with Smylee..  I have a rifle that I left the barrel in the white.  My Bess is still with a shiny barrel.  Most military guns were left highly polished.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 02:13:41 AM »
Mine has Jim's aging patina solution on it. Love the look, go ahead and shoot it as is but you will love the look of the aged look.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline nemovir

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 02:23:20 AM »
I meant leaving the stock unfinished as well as the barrel.

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 03:16:12 AM »
Leave the stock unfinished and it will look about as pretty and old hoe handle out in the barn after a year or so plus it will have a lot of soot and patching lube inbedded in the wood from your dirty hands. It will also soak up water like a sponge and be hard to dry out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 04:01:12 AM »
Finish the wood...leave the metal bright, if that's turns you on.  But finish the wood.  Good lord.

I left the barrel and lock of my Chambers Virginia 'amoury bright', and the barrel has acquired a nice grey patina.  We don't have high humidity to deal with out her on the left coast, so rust is not an issue.  Out here, a rusty gun is seriously neglected.

But the wood needs to be sealed , and finished.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 04:07:10 AM »
It's yours isn't it?  Do what ever ya want to with it. You mentioned it is long, cut some off of it. It's yours.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 01:55:03 PM »
D. Taylor...But the wood needs to be sealed , and finished.

Yup.  If you don't seal that wood....well, seal the wood.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »
We had a gentleman that shot with us for 20 years, shot a Hawken style rifle that he built. Never finished the wood or metal, even mounted the barrel to the stock with hat looked like a whole roll of "masking tape". Looked like pure $#*! but he out shot us a lot of times.
Mark

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 07:14:39 PM »
To me, finishing the wood is the fun part of building a rifle,that's when the wood really shows its beauty. I can't even imagine not finishing one.

Offline little joe

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »
Kebler uses pretty good wood. Why would you want not want to bring out the bueaty of the wood. If you need advice on some nice finish, ask.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 12:21:03 AM »
Life's too short to shoot/hunt with an ugly gun.  Finish that stock so it'll look like it's supposed to.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline nemovir

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
Fine, will finish it.  Got a question, been watching Kibler’s serie of YouTube videos.  I had bought the iron nitrate and Parmalyn sealer along with the rifle, but I notice he used Tried and True oil varnish.  Is this necessary, he doesn’t sell it on his site?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 05:30:15 PM »
Fine, will finish it.  Got a question, been watching Kibler’s serie of YouTube videos.  I had bought the iron nitrate and Parmalyn sealer along with the rifle, but I notice he used Tried and True oil varnish.  Is this necessary, he doesn’t sell it on his site?

There are dozens of good ways to finish a gunstock, and 10 dozen threads on it.  Here's the last one: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=57490.0
Hold to the Wind