Author Topic: Rammer Stains?  (Read 1712 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Rammer Stains?
« on: January 01, 2020, 02:29:48 AM »
What do y’all stain your ramrods/wiping sticks with?

I just attached a ramrod end to my ramrod blank (yeah I feel pretty good about that lol :)) and have some brown leather dyes that I’ve used in the past with decent results, but, they’re not very vibrant.

I’d like to make a striped ramrod. I’ve made one before with the leather dye and it turned out okay,  but again the colors were kind of dull. I’m looking for a nice dark rich stripe and nice aged look.

So what do y’all use? Thanks, bye happy New Years! :)

-Smokey

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Rammer Stains?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 03:29:04 AM »
I like Laurel Mountain Forge - Lancaster Maple. Seems I can always apply it liberally and rub it back to a perfect shade for an AF finished rifle. I also like to apply some Kibler Bone Black over the top mixed with some Chambers finishing Oil, and rub that back a bit to leave some of the black in the grain. Gives a nice patina.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:43:57 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 03:33:46 AM »
Same Nitrate of Iron stain I use on the gun.

Mitch

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 03:40:52 AM »
Same Nitrate of Iron stain I use on the gun.

Mitch
Same here.
Usually slight scorch if for my mountain rifles. Then rub with beeswax while still hot.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 03:50:31 AM »
SP:  that is a completely valid question.

I use Fiebing's leather dye and when applied, it yields the colour i"m after.  But within a couple years, the UV does it's thing, and the rod is pale and bland.  I think I need to try Ferric nitrate.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 07:36:54 AM »
Thanks, guys! Just want to try something new and see what I get.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 07:46:11 AM »
Thanks, guys! Just want to try something new and see what I get.

Curiosity is the one thing guaranteed to take you places. If you haven’t tried Aqua Fortis/Ferric Nitrate/Nitrate of Iron give it a shot. It’s crazy easy to use and rarely less than spectacular. Many folks go over the top of it with a stain like LMF Lancaster maple or other especially if they use Tannic acid with it. Kibler Longrifles has a few great videos on YouTube discussing/showing how it’s used and Jim sells all of it. Dive in.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:50:42 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »
I used Beyond Black coffee from the Black Rifle Coffee Company. It didn’t come out very dark but it sure smells good.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 11:28:22 PM »
Thanks! After watching Jim Kibler’s videos I think the iron nitrate with tannic acid should make a really dark stripe on the hickory? Maybe? Then after that maybe a coat of Laurel Mountain stain of some kind for the contrasting stripe? Then finish with a bee’s wax?

I got the tip done. Pinned it last night and finished with some bleach and cold bluing looks great, also did the tow worm to match.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »
Thanks guys just ordered some LMF Lancaster maple and ebony toner. I’ll mix the ebony toner with the LM to make it nice and dark. Will experiment with the ratio on scrap hickory rods, might even go full ebony toner for the stripe who knows.

So for the final sealer, what would be appropriate for a ramrod? I’d like something that is durable as it’s for a ramrod, and UV resistant so the color doesn’t fade. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:46:42 AM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 04:41:30 PM »
I use ting oil on most of the wood on my rifles and rods. Gives a little color, enhances the grain and seals the wood.
Mark

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 11:57:53 PM »
I use a propane torch and char the wood to make the stripe on my ramrods.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 02:32:30 AM »
I use a propane torch and char the wood to make the stripe on my ramrods.

Can you elaborate more on this? I’ve thought of doing that.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 03:26:55 AM »
Just put a pencil mark around your rod where the stripe will be and with a low flame twist the rod with one hand following the mark with the torch. Holding the rod at an angle,you can move the torch up and down across the rod. That is clear as mud isn't it? If you catch the wood on fire,your going to slow.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:30:40 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 03:59:59 AM »
I have not tried iron nitrate on a ramrod yet.  Going to have to give that a go. 

Cory Joe Stewart