Author Topic: auqa fortis  (Read 3953 times)

msblacksmith

auqa fortis
« on: July 22, 2009, 04:27:23 AM »
has anyone used other acids to make auqafortis.if so how did it work?and what did you use?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: auqa fortis
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 04:32:50 AM »
Why not just buy ferric nitrate if you cannot find nitric acid? The acid in not the stain it just MAKES the ferric nitrate that produces the color.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
Some people do the vinegar and iron thing, but I've never been able to make it work.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:06:34 PM »
Some people do the vinegar and iron thing,
Or Red Man and ammonia.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

jwh1947

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:10:12 PM »
My process for vinegar and iron is to drop a pad of #0000 steel wool in about a quart and a half of vinegar.  Let it sit until the pad is dissolved, perhaps a week.   This stuff will ebonize most wood quite well. 

Incidentally, avoid breathing nitric acid, and never breathe the fumes from burning nitric acid;  use the stuff outside.  Actually, there's enough good products on the market today (art supply stores are useful) that one need not use strong acids.
 I
f you use acid, make sure to neutralize the acid bath with a strong base, such as lime.  Ever see a contemp that turned a funky green hue after a few treks to the mountains?  That's what sunlight does to un-neutralized acids in wood.  I'm no chemist, but rather the only English major in college to get permanently banned from the chem lab.  Seems I was in the process of brewing up a batch of nitrogen triiodide for amusement when the dean made an unexpected visit.  JWH

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
The green is chromium trioxide.  It definitely can turn green.  Un-neutralized AF tends to turn black.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »
As Dan indicated, ferric nitrate from a chemical supply house works quite well.  I've used it on the two rifles I have built and plan to use it on the ones I'm currently building.  I mix 1 part FEO3 crystal to 5 parts distilled water (by volume).  I've heard that it is ph neutral, but believe it is still acidic, as it makes the baking soda slurry I use to neutralize bubble, particularly in crevices and crannies in the work.
FEO3 crystals are much handier to keep in the shop than a bottle of liquid nitric acid.
Larry Luck

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 07:38:48 PM »
I haven't tried the ferric nitrate yet....but I still have about 2 liters of pure nitric acid, which will last me a long time.