Author Topic: Loading block for a 16ga fowler?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline tddeangelo

Loading block for a 16ga fowler?
« on: January 04, 2020, 02:31:46 AM »
I have a 16ga fowler that shoots patched balls very well.

Doesn’t seem like anyone offers a loading block for 66-caliber.

Anyone know of any options out there?

I’m shooting a 0.648 ball with 0.016 ticking for a patch. Totals 0.680, so I don’t think a 69 caliber loading block would hold a patched ball.

Thanks for any ideas!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Loading block for a 16ga fowler?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 04:39:13 AM »
I’m think a slab of 1/2” oak from HD, a hacksaw, and a drill. Handmade always looks better anyway.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 04:56:50 AM »
Consulting a machinists' table, I'd need a 43/64 drill bit, or a 17mm drill bit.

Considering this is likely a one-and-done situation, I'd rather spend on a finished product than a 1x use drill bit, lol.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 05:13:56 AM »
Consulting a machinists' table, I'd need a 43/64 drill bit, or a 17mm drill bit.

Considering this is likely a one-and-done situation, I'd rather spend on a finished product than a 1x use drill bit, lol.

You don't have to buy any drill bit if you hog it out otherwise.  Lots of ways to get there.  Probably any number of guys who'd bid on the job if you don't care to make your own.
Hold to the Wind

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 05:44:24 AM »
Paper cartridges.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 05:47:54 AM »
You wouldn't need a regular drill bit, you could use an inexpensive inch or inch and an eighth spade bit

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 05:52:44 AM »
I think before I would worry about making a loading block, I would explore more period style smoothbore loading techniques such as bare ball and wadding or even paper cartridges. Try it, you might like it.
Psalms 144

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 08:03:35 AM »
In my view and limited experience with loading blocks in the 80s it’s near impossible to keep the lube on the patches ball when using them. I used to worry about quick follow up shots. They are seldom available.
Andover, Vermont

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 08:30:47 AM »
Making things is a tremendous part of the enjoyment of this hobby.

Without trying your hand at it, you are missing a huge part of the satisfaction.

I live in a tiny apartment in the middle of a big city, and have next to 0 equipment or skills. But I’ve been making my own bullet starters, ramrods, nipple pricks (I’m a caplock shooter), braided hemp thongs, and bullet blocks. It’s been an incredible journey and is a hugely rewarding experience.

Trust me, if I can do it, you can too. Ebay and Harbor Freight are your friends! Lol. Here are some recent builds of mine:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:44:23 AM by Smokey Plainsman »

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 08:33:24 AM »
I think before I would worry about making a loading block, I would explore more period style smoothbore loading techniques such as bare ball and wadding or even paper cartridges. Try it, you might like it.

There is evidence for bullet blocks having existed in the percussion period, at least the later years, but for when most smoothies were around, I’ve not found any evidence to support there use but that does not mean they weren’t around.

I wonder if a lacquer coating of some kind could be applied at least to the holes to keep the lube from ensoaking into the wood and hence drying out prematurely?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »

Without trying your hand at it, you are missing a huge part of the satisfaction.

I live in a tiny apartment in the middle of a big city, and have next to 0 equipment or skills. But I’ve been making my own bullet starters, ramrods, nipple pricks (I’m a caplock shooter), braided hemp thongs, and bullet blocks. It’s been an incredible journey and is a hugely rewarding experience.

I’m not judging mind, but those sound a bit on the uncomfortable side.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 05:02:53 PM »
Be careful Bob, a guy would have to be pretty mean to wear those.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 05:37:42 PM »
Be careful Bob, a guy would have to be pretty mean to wear those.

You’re right. Tough as a Pine knot.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 06:48:00 PM »

Bob, that sounds like the makings of a Duluth Trading underwear commercial...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 07:05:39 PM »
...explore more period style smoothbore loading techniques such as bare ball and wadding or even paper cartridges. Try it, you might like it.
... into the wood and hence drying out prematurely?

seal that endgrain with shellac or beeswax, or both.
Hold to the Wind

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 08:21:16 PM »
Lol you guys crack me up! I don’t mean underwear, just a lanyard of sorts for attaching powder measures etc. to a bag for instance.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »

Bob, that sounds like the makings of a Duluth Trading underwear commercial...

Greg

I can see the Duluth guy now. There'd probably be a black bear in the commercial, pulling on the thong or something. (My favorite is the 'Ballroom' pants commercial. Shows him dancing in a ballroom, doing the splits, highkicks, and whatnot. I love a good double entendre)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 08:46:44 PM »
Drill a hole in a piece of hard wood (maple, cherry, etc) as close as you can to the size you want, with whatever is a nominal drill bit size.  Then, with a reamer or a rat-tailed file, make it the size you want.  Sneak up on it, and try patched balls in it to get the fit you want.  A loading block with only two or three holes is all that you'll need.  Otherwise, the lube will dissipate and leave it too dry.  Seal the holes with tung oil, bees wax or the like, and you'll be good to go.  I use one when I hunt, and have made use of it several times for a quick second shot, even if I don't need to take it.
You'll likely find that the hole you need is larger than what you thought you'd need.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 08:51:17 PM »

Could just use a 5/8 bit and then open the hole another 1/32 or so with a dowel and sandpaper. I don't use a loading block, but I'd imagine that you don't necessarily want the holes in the block to be as tight a fit as the barrel anyway, so it isn't like you need a really precise hole, just something tight enough that the balls won't fall out. Drilling undersize and then taking a try-and-see approach to widening the holes might actually get a better result.

OTOH, if you buy a finished loading block, you have a loading block. If you buy a drill bit and some wood, you have a loading block and a drill bit.

Edited to add: While I was writing this, Taylor posted pretty much the same advice I did. I'll post it anyway because I deserve to be heard, doggone it.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »
Several non-splitting woods: sycamore, elm, hackberry, and sweet gum.
Andover, Vermont

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2020, 10:18:38 PM »
Thanks all!

I’ll see what I can conjure up.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 01:23:00 AM »
Drill a hole in a piece of hard wood (maple, cherry, etc) as close as you can to the size you want, with whatever is a nominal drill bit size.  Then, with a reamer or a rat-tailed file, make it the size you want.  Sneak up on it, and try patched balls in it to get the fit you want.  A loading block with only two or three holes is all that you'll need.  Otherwise, the lube will dissipate and leave it too dry.  Seal the holes with tung oil, bees wax or the like, and you'll be good to go.  I use one when I hunt, and have made use of it several times for a quick second shot, even if I don't need to take it.
You'll likely find that the hole you need is larger than what you thought you'd need.

Taylor is correct. If you get the hole really snug you risk breaking/splitting the loading block when you press the ball/patch into it. You want it snug enough that your ball/patch won't fall out but not as snug as your barrel ID.

Mike

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 02:09:13 AM »
Grandfather when he had no drills big enough for a job, drilled a lesser hole and burned 'em larger with a red -hot poker.
Smoky, but it worked.  Same could be done here.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 02:30:36 AM »
Grandfather when he had no drills big enough for a job, drilled a lesser hole and burned 'em larger with a red -hot poker.
Smoky, but it worked.  Same could be done here.

..and it would look great.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2020, 07:42:52 PM »
 I make my boring devices for bullet boards by getting a spade bit that is a little larger than the o.d. Of the barrel and grind it, and sharpen it in such a fashion that it not only cuts the proper size hole for the ball, but also cuts a relief in the board that fits the o.d. barrel, so there is no fumbling around trying to line the ball up with the bore. This is especially important when hunting. I prefer hard maple for my bullet boards.

Hungry Horse