Author Topic: cut sabots  (Read 1232 times)

Offline coupe

• Starting Member
cut sabots
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:05:21 PM »
I read in another post something I had wanted to try myself, cutting the leaves off the sabots and using the cup on other projectiles. I cut leaves off a bunch of them, some just cut mostly level, some cut then sanded level with the bottom and a touch of the leaf left but level and square. These were black, green, and red to see any difference. The 50 cal. barrel has a 1:48 twist. 90 grs. goex 3f 320 maxiball crisco olive oil beeswax mix for lube all at 50 yds bench. The results ok I think not the best, the 1st. 3 of which 2 were sanded all grouped 6" left and low, low is within norms for the maxi is twice the weight of the sighted in bullet. Next 3 black same left but 4", 3d set red real low, off the paper low. not what I'd think of as steller performance. Then I decided to try a felt op wad 9/16" dia. windage was dead nuts but naturally low and side by side. I then tried the 3/4" wad I use in my 54 for prb. brought it up to just under the black tight together windage was great the groupe was tight.
So thumbs up to IdahoLewis on the tip on the op felt wad, makes a diff on accuracy. I don't think cut sabots are worth the bother for me.
coupe

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: cut sabots
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »
coupe:  as you can see by the lack of replies to your thread, folks on THIS site have no interest in the type of shooting that you are talking about.  Folks here shoot traditionally, ie:  patched round ball and Holy Black.  Perhaps there are other sites on the www that can identify and will offer advice.  Otherwise, you're on your own.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline coupe

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »
For your info. I did not post for replies. I shoot prb in my 54 and don't care if you reply or not, that is strictly up to you. In my past experience any information is good less we respond negatively to posts from experts such as Idaholewis, of which I am not in his league but value his posts very much. If it takes up your room on the board or your not interested don't read them! Mean while have a good day.
coupe

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:53:15 AM »
AMEN!!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »
 ::)