Author Topic: Hard Lead  (Read 1923 times)

Offline SHARPS4953

• Starting Member
Hard Lead
« on: January 04, 2020, 05:59:11 AM »
I was wondering what the accuracy difference is between pure and hard lead round ball. I just came upon some lead that appears hard, I know you should use pure soft for mini balls and so on but does it really matter with a patched ball?   Scott

Offline Daryl

Re: Hard Lead
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:00:40 PM »
Scott- you can easily use alloyed lead for shooting, however the ball diameter becomes critical. You will not be able to load as large a hardened round ball
as pure lead, with a given patch, as the lead and patch will not conform to the bore as easily.  This means that if you reduce the size of the harder ball,
you might still be able to load it and get good accuracy.

In theory, the smaller ball will not give as good accuracy as the larger, softer lead ball. If it did, then the Bench Rest shooters would be using smaller, harder lead balls
for competition shooting.They do not. They use bore size or over bore sized round ball AND .020" to .022" teflon-coated patches.

Due to my desire to shoot harder balls, particularly for hunting, I had the late Jeff Tanner, make me a 15 bore ball mould, ie: .677". It casts .677" balls of alloyed lead.
I load these quite easily in my .690" bore with .714" groove diameter using 13 and 14 ounce denim. I measure that denim with a mic, at .025" and .030", (adding .005
 & .004" for caliper measurement, compressed.  That mould casts pure lead at .675" and loading is very easy with the thick denim patches. Accuracy is the same.

The accuracy at 50 yards, is similar (virtually identical) to shooting pure lead balls of .682" with the same thick denim patches. In this case, the harder, but smaller ball
was able to be loaded with the same patch, as the 005" larger but pure lead balls & with the same patches.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 11:40:41 PM »
If your patch and ball combination fit correctly, there is no difference in accuracy.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 03:29:42 AM »
As Daryl indicates the alloyed lead will cast a somewhat larger ball from the same mould compared to pure lead. So you might need a thinner patch. Also note that a barrel with wide lands will load harder than one with narrow lands.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:34:26 AM »
Keep a steel loading rod handy of you decide to experiment with this.  You will not know it is too hard to load until it is too late with a regular wood rod. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 10:22:37 PM »
If your patch and ball combination fit correctly, there is no difference in accuracy.

This has also been my experience.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Stony

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 02:45:15 AM »
I'm afraid I would opt for the soft lead. The muzzleloaders have always used it as they were designed to do.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 05:46:07 PM »
Most of the time it's my smoothbores that get the harder lead. They don't mind at all.