Author Topic: Inspired by "Gettin' The Lead Out" by Karl Z. Smith  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Kevin

Inspired by "Gettin' The Lead Out" by Karl Z. Smith
« on: January 05, 2020, 03:36:36 AM »
Happy New Year All,

A while back I bought a copy of "Gettin' The Lead Out" by Karl Z. Smith right here on the ALR forum.

The simple wooden ball tube (page 64) caught my eye and I end up in the basement drilling holes in some scrap pieces of 2x4.  After some whittlin' and plugging up the bottom ends a "bit of whimsical" showed up.  That was followed by some Salem Red milk paint rubbed down with a piece of brown paper bag and a very light coat of Wonder Wax.

independence day alien ship

Comments & Questions welcome,
Kevin

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Inspired by "Gettin' The Lead Out" by Karl Z. Smith
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 07:40:54 PM »
Nice. Sometimes simple is best.
Psalms 144

Offline GA Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 01:33:37 AM »
Wooden ball tubes caught my eye as well.  Good job yours,I like the paint finish

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 04:04:44 PM »
Beautiful work, guys!  Those things look as handy as a pocket on a shirt!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 08:27:37 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind remarks.

The one that mimics a barrel with bands has a 3/4" hole in it and holds a small handful of buckshot.  I see it keeping company with the fowler I am to take delivery on in early 2021.

GA Turner, looks like you spent some quality time with a lathe.  Very nice results.

I find working on small projects like these relaxing, even if its only 15 minutes at a time.  I'm thinking I will come up with a couple scraps of walnut or maple for the next ball tube project, or two.

Take Care,
Kevin