Author Topic: shot size  (Read 1512 times)

Offline walt53

shot size
« on: January 05, 2020, 11:16:32 PM »
HI gents I was wondering what your opinions would be on the average or best shot size in both a 28 and 20 gauge that would give good groups and work well on say grouse and rabbits. And also loads you use or would use in this case. thanks Walt

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: shot size
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 11:21:42 PM »
Rabbits and grouse are both easy to kill so I’d got with 6s or 7 and a half’s.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »
Pattern your gun and see what it likes .  I Used to load 6's , and 7 1/2's etc for different game, but have long ago standardized on # 4's for shot loads.  They just seem to shoot the best in my gun.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 02:26:49 AM »
 My old buddy Tall Pine has killed more upland game with his smoothbore than anybody I know. He swears by a mixture he calls 4for8’s which is just what it sounds like, a mixture of shot sizes. He says he discovered it by accident, and has been using it ever since.

Hungry Horse

Offline skullcap

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 02:48:32 AM »
I have test and retested shot from several 20 gauge Fowler’s     I have settled on the duplex shot load of 4sx6s.  50/50 mix  works great from turkey to squirrels.  What I hunt for the most part.    And flying birds as the opportunity comes up.    4s penetrate  the hide of squirrels    And carry further out.   4sx6s. Give a fuller shot pattern.  On turkey heads or rabbits running

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 03:16:24 AM »
How far a shot is doable with shot on squirrels, from a penetration/clean kill perspective?

Granted, smaller shot will have shorter range.... I’m considering either 4’s or 5’s for squirrels. Maybe 6’s.

Offline skullcap

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 03:51:32 AM »
30 yards.  On good penetration. Squirrels   With a good clear shot path    One thing I found out  right off is.  Black powder shot load get stopped by just the lights of leaves or small branches.   So to me unlike shooting in a bit of brush like with modern shot gun. It best to wait for the open shot. Going up a tree or out on the open limb. Just as important as shot size or distance

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 04:22:00 AM »
Thank you.

I have a property I hunt for deer that we have lots of ladder stands up.

I will go hunt squirrels form the ladder stands, which gives me a good perspective on the little buggers. I stay till activity is dampened by my presence/shooting, give it a few minutes to be sure, and then take a slow walk to another stand.

30 yards should be plenty and should get me tons of shooting.

Offline Sparkitoff

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 04:45:34 PM »
My doublegun is a 19 gauge.  The barrels are choked IC/MOD.  I took the time to pattern it at 25, 35 and 45 yards. 45 yards is too far to reliably kill something as small as a quail or dove. For the 25 and 35 yard patterns I tried #8, #7.5, #6 and #4. The #8 patterned best overall from both barrels for 25 and 35 yards. The Modified choke barrel has a strong preference for the #6 for some reason, but again overall for both barrels #8 was best. I use #8 for dove, quail, woodcock and rabbits. I experimented a lot with shot size and load components because I wanted to hunt turkey. Through a long day of trying different combinations, one really stood out. This combo is #6 with just 7 copper coated lead BB's dropped on top. I use this for squirrels, pheasants and turkey and would use it for something larger like a raccoon if that was something I hunted. Interestingly to me, I did the same load components with different shot size and the pattern was significantly different. I have two "loads" that work for me and I'm sticking to them but in the end the real conclusion was that the load components seem to make more of a difference than just changing the shot size with the same components.

Offline newtire

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 08:07:38 PM »
I've killed a bunch of squirrels and rabbits with #6 shot.  Lately I've discovered #7 (available from Sportsmans Warehouse.  We have an influx of the ring necked doves here and they seem to take a bit more killing than the mourning doves.  #7 seems to bring them down a little more frequently.  Haven't tried it on rabbits or squirrels though. Squirrels do have a tough hide. My only gripe with #4 is because they seemed to drag hair into the meat but they kill things dead for sure.

My dad was a big fan of #5's.  He shot many many ducks with that stuff and I've killed a couple of ducks with it-good size shot.  don't know why I don't use more of it.

If your muzzleloader has a choke, the bigger shot works better than in a small bore with open choke.  Pattern test and see which works best for you.  Like some have already said, squirrels are a little thicker of hide than a rabbit.  Maybe bigger shot for them or a #5 compromise for both?

Offline JPK

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 09:09:24 PM »
For just squirrels I like #2 shot. It sound weird but it kills clean and with less pellets it doesn’t tear them up like #6s did.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.