Author Topic: .32 Caliber Experiences  (Read 8838 times)

McGaffus

.32 Caliber Experiences
« on: January 08, 2020, 07:07:35 PM »
Greetings!

To begin the new year with, I decided to buy an assembly kit from Pedersoli as first project. I already own a Pedersoli Le Page in .36 and a Zouave Rifle from Zoli in .58.
Because I ever wanted to get a flintlock rifle and to save some money (The Zouave is big fun, but expensive to shoot...) I want a small caliber long rifle or a carbine version
of it.

Because this project will be my first assembly kit I don't want to spend too much money but I still want a quality gun, so my choice is a kit from Pedersoli.
Unfortunately, the Frontier carbine and the Cub Dixie Carbine (short Pennsylvanian) are not available anymore. With .36 they would have been my first choice because
I could have used rounds and patches from my Le Page and there would be no need to buy even more stuff. But I can't dodge that, i assume.

So I have to choose between .32 and .45. I can't really decide that.

Reasons for .32 would be for me the cheap price for each shot. Small amount of Powder (I use swiss powder which is quite expensive in Germany) and small and cheap rounds
sounds quite nice. I don't have the possibility to test fire such a gun because I don't know anybody who owns one. But I assume the recoil is comparable with .22 lr.
How is your experience with that caliber in terms of accuracy and handling while loading and cleaning? I presume that the small ball and the small
patch could be non-forgiving when the round is not exactly centered on the patch and every little difference on the load could result in bad accuracy. Also how are those guns
to clean with such fiddly loading gear? Will i notice any difference compared to larger calibers?

I will use the gun on 50 metres. For that range I need a precise weapon which is capable to hit with a spread of 1" or even better. (Not that I can use it without
sandbags, but I love to know that my skills are the only limiting factor on my grouping). Is that possible with that caliber and flintlock?

I would really appreciate to hear some experiences :)
(And please excuse any language mistakes as I am no native speaker  ;D)

Best greetings
McGaffus

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: .32 Caliber Experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 07:45:36 PM »
Cheap, accurate, fun. Small calibers are easy to load. If you have big hands and fingers then the tiny round balls are easy to drop.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 08:00:38 PM »
I have several .32's in both flint and percussion.  They are fun and accurate.  I see Dixie gun works has the kits for the scout and the frontier rifles.  There is always the Kiber kit that can be had in .32.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »
I had a .32 for a while & it shot quite well to 50yards. Indeed, oft times I even hit the 100 meter gongs with it.
Easy to load as long as soft, pure lead balls are used & quite economical on powder.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 09:33:16 PM »
I built one in 1972 and am still using  it.  I've had the most fun with the .32 than all of my other muzzleloaders.  I shot it competition and won my first 100 yard first place ribbon with it.  I shot lots of squirrels with it  over the years and even took a groundhog at 125 years with it.  No problem on accuracy.  I used 30 grains of powder at 25 and 50 yards and 60 grains at 100 yards.  I never felt under gunned in competition or in the field.  I believe a .32 is a great choice for a small game gun and if I didn't have one, I'd be building one.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 10:02:27 PM »
I have a .32 custom made flintlock SMR (prior to the Kibler kits) and it is a joy to shoot.  Would not trade it for anything.  Balls are small but manageable.  Great accurate shooter.  Good luck in whatever you choose.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 10:49:06 PM »
I've owned two nice .32 rifles and still have the one in flintlock.  I shoot the .36 more than the .32 but have squirrel hunted more extensively with the .32.  You cannot go wrong with a .32 in flint or percussion.  Easy & cheap to feed, very accurate, no more prone to fouling than the bigger guys and fun beyond words.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 12:09:47 AM »
I have a Pedersoli Kentucky in .32 flint and for the money it's a pretty decent gun. The factory ramrod leaves a lot to be desired and I replaced mine with a 5/16 hickory one. The lock sparks well enough, not the best I've ever seen, but enough for the gun to reliably fire.

My issues with it are:

If the lock breaks it will be difficult/expensive to procure replacement parts or a whole new lock.

The walnut stock is plain and dark... But that is simple aesthetics and does not effect the overall operation of the rifle.

The barrel is only 36"... I would've preferred a longer barrel, say 42". But it is accurate enough for head shots on squirrels.

Mike

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 01:10:24 AM »
Pedersoli (regardless of type of firearm) is now and always has been mediocre at best. If you are just starting out or wanting to upgrade I would recommend finding a used rifle from a well known maker or a well made kit (providing it was finished by someone who knows what they are doing.) You will be in the long run much happier, have a better rifle, and one that can be repaired easily for about the same investment.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline RVAH-7

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 06:27:26 AM »
1st of all, welcome to this forum. My .32 is a joy to shoot-hope  you have children and/or grandchildren to help you shoot your new rifle. Won't be very loud, negligible recoil. I didn't have squirrels in the rocks and sage of Wyoming or Montana but I did enjoy eating a LOT of cottontails and also clobbered jackrabbits & sniped one turkey. My Bedford came with a brass 20 gr. measure and sometimes I used 30 gr. for longer yardage.  Just be careful (close, short strokes on that 5/16" hickory ramrod so you don't crucify your hand). If there is 7000 gr. in a one pound can, @ 20 gr. you should get good milage!

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 12:04:04 AM »
Fun, economical, and accurate. I shot this target at Friendship several years ago at 25 yards offhand open sighted flintlock. I dropped the last shot of 5 into the 9 ring. Load was 25 grains GOEX 3fg, ticking and a Hornady "O" buckshot.

Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline mushka

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 01:59:49 AM »
Nothing fancy for me.  I just got a Traditions Crockett in percussion and it shoots better than I can.  Not pretty but completely adequate.  Low price rifle, 20 grns 3F, 310 prb and deadly accurate at 25 to 35 yards.  Squirrel distances.  What's not to like.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 02:36:55 AM »
New member McGaffus is probably some what limited in what he has for choices as he lives in Germany.
I have  no idea if he could order a Kibler kit from the states. Seems our other member Adrie in Europe is really limited in what he can have and get or even build.

Best of luck in what ever you decide.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 02:48:44 AM »
McGaffus English is much better than my German.If he sees this I recommend that he contact Guenter Stifter,Hauptstrasse 55
in Trimbs,a small town West of Koblenz.The phone number I think is 9645555.Guenter may be able to fix him up with a Kleinbohr
Vorderlader.I have thought of one using a bullet if about 175 grains instead of a ball.

Bob Roller

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 02:13:12 AM »
Cant go wrong with a 32 fun and cheap to shoot and most seem to be very accurate. I have a brass range rod that is built for a TC Seneca but I use it for my Cherokee also and leave the wooden rods under the barrel.  Someone recommended to me when I got my first 32 to shoot at tennis balls for practice. Now I suspend tennis balls and ping pong balls in front of my range mound and on calm days I may spend several hours plinking at 25-50 yards off hand and my unsupported off hand shooting is getting much better.  Sure hope you are able to locate one you wont regret it.

Offline newtire

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
Nothing fancy for me.  I just got a Traditions Crockett in percussion and it shoots better than I can.  Not pretty but completely adequate.  Low price rifle, 20 grns 3F, 310 prb and deadly accurate at 25 to 35 yards.  Squirrel distances.  What's not to like.
I'm with Mushka on the Crockett.  It is one accurate little rifle.  Only detractors for me are the ramrod being too prone to breakage (all .32's!) and a problem with the back side of the hammer rubbing against the lock causing misfires.  This was fixed easily with a bit of grinding off of metal on the backside of the hammer.

I have a Pedersoli and a CVA squirrel rifle also in .32.  The Pedersoli is a little prettier but ties the Crockett otherwise.  The CVA trigger is not so great but accurate in spite of that. 

I guess if you're really up for money, get a custom built one from what's being said.  I wouldn't know since don't own one in .32.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »
I can also recommend the Crockett .32.  I used mine for years and it worked just fine from the get-go.  Here's my Crockett and a typical target.  The group size includes the called flyer.

Offline shifty

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 04:39:08 AM »
  I have a Crockett great little 32 cal squirrel rifle.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 09:11:23 PM »
McGaffus - for 50 yard shooting, a .40 or .45 calibre will quite likely give better accuracy
than a .32, however, this it not to say the .32 will not shoot well at that range. There is
generally a big difference between 25 or 30-yards, and 50 yard accuracy. It takes more
powder to shoot at 50, while at 25 yards, even a 20gr. squib load will shoot well.  My .32
shot over 2" at 50yards with the 20gr. charge, but tightened up with more powder (35gr.3F)
It was easy to shoot 1/2" to 3/4"  with both the .40 and .45, however I could never get
that accuracy out of the .32. This could easily have been the barrel's fault, though, and not
the calibre, per se'.
Daryl

Offline Algae

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 11:24:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum, keep us posted!  :D

Al J.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 12:11:52 AM »
One very important thing I found with my .32, was that when using .311" balls and .022" denim patches lubed with mink oil,
the 2nd through 50th shots loaded easier than the first one - no "wiping" or "swabbing", of course (& although one was used,
a short starter was not necessary. Thumb start- no way possible, but simple pressure on the choked up rod was all that was
necessary to start the ball into the bore. Small balls conform into the bore with the patch, every easily, if they are dead soft.
Daryl

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 11:40:30 AM »
First, your target distance of 50 meters is about 54 and a half yards which is going to affect the accuracy of a little .32 because it will be bleeding off energy and velocity by the time it gets that far. That also means that the ball will be dropping and add to the number of variables in any given shot. That doesn't mean that it's inferior or lacks accuracy because it is a fine small game caliber. However, it doesn't sound like hunting is one of the purposes you have in mind for this new rifle. Since you already have a .36 then you already have a more than adequate small game rifle. Also, if you will be shooting steel plate targets, the .32 may not hit with enough energy to hear from the firing line. I own a .32 Crockett rifle and after watching other members of my shooting club use the same caliber for shooting steel plate targets during our monthly competition matches, it would not be my first choice for such an event.

Having said that, I would recommend that you get a flintlock kit in .45. At 50 meters the lead ball will still have enough velocity that drop won't be as much a concern as with the smaller caliber. It will also strike a steel plate with more authority (energy) and can be heard from the firing line. It is also a nice small to medium game caliber, it you have that opportunity in the future.

While I agree that there are better kits available than Pedresoli, they are by no means low quality or junk. You can however, turn any kit into junk by rushing through the assembly and finishing process so regardless of what you get, please ask questions here if you don't understand something or for just good advice as we are fortunate to have many experienced craftsman on the forum. Many of us have been in your shoes so to speak and will gladly give you advice.

I speak a little Texas German so I appreciate the fact that the two languages do not translate well, especially literally. When I was a teacher I emphasized that point to my students. Good luck and please let us know what you decide upon.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 12:26:04 AM »
I can vouch for the fact that a .32 AND the .36 fired at gongs can be very difficult to hear much past 50 yards.  I prefer the .45 or .50 for that reason.  Even the .40 makes a lighter "tink" on gongs that can go unheard at times.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 03:38:55 AM »
LOL- it's worse if the guys you're shooting with, are deaf as well as blind.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 12:26:58 AM »
Kinda like most of us!  ;)