Author Topic: seeking info on long rifle  (Read 3049 times)

greencoat

seeking info on long rifle
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:36:23 PM »
Hello,
  I am seeking any information on a maker named J. A. Strong. Its marked on the upper barrel flat of a long rifle, full stocked with a side hammer percussion lock. I have only seen pictures of it and I am trying to help a old fellow I met at a re-enactment identify more about it. He stated its been in the family for awhile but he doesn't know where it came from. I am a black powder, Civil War shooter-collector and I find myself way out of my league. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thank you

Offline Mike L

• Starting Member
Re: seeking info on long rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 02:09:41 AM »
There is a James A. Strong listed in Sellers "American Gunsmiths". He is listed as being in Vicksburg, Michigan in 1867, and Scotts, Mich. 1891-1895. Pictures would be nice if you have them.

greencoat

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
Thank you for the info. Here are the pictures that I recieved.
[/img] Do you think this gun was made with that lock in it originally? I thought that long rifles were mostly flint then converted to percussion with a hammer type lock. Greencoat

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »
The lock appears to be original to this rifle.

Longrifles were made through the 19th century-- long after the flintlock system was generally replaced by percussion locks. This rifle could date almost anywhere in the last half of the 1800s but is likely to be 1850-1870.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 05:02:26 AM »
That's a really nice looking mule ear. It would be nice to see some more detailed photos of it if you get a chance.