Author Topic: Good way to get a stock profile  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Good way to get a stock profile
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:29:07 AM »
So, I'm going to be building a 1790 period half-stock fowler/rifle, and I was trying to figure out how to get the profile from pics of the original.  I figured it out.  Plugged my computer into the tv, and opened the pic to edit.  Blew it up until it matched known dimensions(lockplate/LOP etc..) then I taped tracing paper to the screen, traced it with a sharpie and added a bit all around on the blank.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Good way to get a stock profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 12:56:44 AM »
I think you broke some kinda rule there bro with that tracing paper. It’s obviously supposed to be used to trace birds and flowers and bunnies and unicorns.
Andover, Vermont

Offline msellers

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 01:23:10 AM »
I think you broke some kinda rule there bro with that tracing paper. It’s obviously supposed to be used to trace birds and flowers and bunnies and unicorns.
Ssshhhh! You are telling on him. What they don't know don't hurt them.

This is a good tip, thank you very much. Am probably going to steal this for one I am dreaming of.
Mike

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 02:30:15 AM »
If you want you future gun to fit you like it grew on you, make a try stock to get your exact measurements.

I trace off full sized plans and shift things a little to fit my exact measurements for drop and pull.

I can close my eyes, shoulder one of my guns, open my eyes and the sights will be perfectly lined up. 

Try stock;

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:21:28 AM »
Nice wood!!

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 03:42:16 AM »
I have scanned photos to a JPG and then loaded them into a banner printing utility in publishing software.  Just adjust the size to the actual gun or your preference.

One thing I figured out is that the top profile line is the main thing.  The other lines have to be manually adjusted unless your other components are exactly the same as the original.
Mike Lee

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 05:39:35 PM »
Nice wood!!
Thanks Joe. You should see the other side. It's the nice side.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
I have scanned photos to a JPG and then loaded them into a banner printing utility in publishing software.  Just adjust the size to the actual gun or your preference.

One thing I figured out is that the top profile line is the main thing.  The other lines have to be manually adjusted unless your other components are exactly the same as the original.
Yeah, I laid the profile of the original out on the stock and it left about 1/64" between the RR hole, and the bottom of the stock. I guess it had a tapered 5/16" rod.  I added 1/8" to the bottom.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »
Nice wood!!

Looks like it came from the same tree as my try stock.  Trigger make is same too  :P .   I added a hunk of steel out front for balance too.

Tracing paper--that's what we called "typing paper" back in my kid days, you know when typing was done manually or electrically and carbon papers were used for duplicates. 

I've got a surveyor pal with a big plotter/paper to help when I need big patterns printed.  This might be helpful to folks also situated one or two counties away from a print shop.

Neat grain you've got in your blank there. Good on gettin' 'er dunn.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:24:42 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind