Author Topic: Trigger Question  (Read 925 times)

Online JLayne

Trigger Question
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:23:14 PM »
Hello all,

Working on getting a single (not a set) tiger installed for a Chambers Colonial VA lock.  The trigger is an R.E. Davis Bivens style with the pivot point on a lug attached to the trigger plate. Lock, trigger and plate have all been inlet. After some filing on the trigger bar, the trigger holds at half cock and will click back to full cock and hold as it should. However, when I pull the trigger, the hammer is only dropping back to half cock rather than all the way forward.  Is this an indication that I need to do more file work on the trigger bar, or some other problem I need to address?

Thanks,
Jay

Offline B.Barker

Re: Trigger Question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 11:28:04 PM »
Sounds like the fly is missing from your lock or the fly needs some work done on it. All Chamber locks come with a fly to keep the sear from going into the half cock notch when tripped by set triggers. Did you have the lock apart and forget to put the fly back when you assembled it again?

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 11:37:28 PM »
Also check for vertical clearance of the sear arm and wood.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Online JLayne

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 11:52:13 PM »
The fly is installed. And the lock seems to work properly when I release it by hand while out of the mortise.
 Jay

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 12:28:42 AM »
Is the trigger free to move quite far and completely raise the sear bar? I’d check with the lock out.
Andover, Vermont

Online JLayne

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:55:25 AM »
All,

I think Waksupi had it right.  I put some inletting black on the sear bar, and after cycling the lock, there was a very slight bit of black showing in the sear bar mortise near the top.  I used a rat tail file and removed some wood and reinstalled. This time, the lock hammer would drop all the way forward, only it would do it on both half and full cock, with very little pressure on either setting. I pulled the lock again and there was still a very, very thin line of black showing in the mortise from the sear bar at about the ten o'clock position. A little more filing away of wood, and it seems to be working correctly now.

Thanks again.

Jay

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 12:57:15 AM »
 Think I would take the trigger out, leave the lock in place, push the sear with a screw driver and see if it is binding, your hole may not be deep enough or maybe your lock nails are to tight.

Tim C.