Author Topic: 2020 Vision: updated tutorials  (Read 2492 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
2020 Vision: updated tutorials
« on: January 14, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
We have the best and most extensive tutorials on gunmaking and accoutrement making on the planet. But due to many pictures having been hosted by Photobucket or TinyPic in accounts that are no longer accessible, about a third of these topics have fuzzy or missing pictures. While still of value, “a picture is worth a thousand words”.

If you are one of the strong contributors who have shared techniques in topics that have become tutorials, please go look and see if some of yours are all fuzzed up with missing or fuzzy pix. If possible, please consider fixing one tutorial a month in 2020. I know several who have done a lot of this already. Thanks!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Brokennock

Re: 2020 Vision: updated tutorials
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:50:04 PM »
We have the best and most extensive tutorials on gunmaking and accoutrement making on the planet. But due to many pictures having been hosted by Photobucket or TinyPic in accounts that are no longer accessible, about a third of these topics have fuzzy or missing pictures. While still of value, “a picture is worth a thousand words”.

If you are one of the strong contributors who have shared techniques in topics that have become tutorials, please go look and see if some of yours are all fuzzed up with missing or fuzzy pix. If possible, please consider fixing one tutorial a month in 2020. I know several who have done a lot of this already. Thanks!

That would be fantastic. Great idea. The whole photobucket hostage taking of people's pictures has ruined a lot of things for a lot of people.
I understand that this will be a lot of work for several people. Unfortunately I can think of no way to fully express my level of sincere gratitude to those who post these photo tutorials, and to those that go back and update/fix the old ones.

Thank you,
Dave

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 02:43:44 AM »
Got four of them boogers fixed today!  Few more to go...

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 02:03:56 PM »
Thank you for fixing the photos in the tutorials.  They are a terrific resource and are unusable without the photos.

If you have not done so yet, please fix your photos.

Beginners, like myself, thank you very much!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
 I think I got all of mine but if you see one that is still not fixed just let me know.

Tim C.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 01:06:34 AM »
What Photobucket decided to do to the gun community is outright treasonous. I hate them with every fiber of my being.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 01:27:40 AM »
What Photobucket decided to do to the gun community is outright treasonous. I hate them with every fiber of my being.

If I understand, they did this to all their non-paying customers without prejudice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 06:23:05 AM »

If I understand, they did this to all their non-paying customers without prejudice.

You are correct Rich.  They screwed everybody.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Herb

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 04:42:16 PM »
I replaced all my Photobucket  pictures in Antique Gun Collecting (looked at 90 pages of all posts), Gun Building (about 245 pages of posts to look at) and Black Powder Shooting (about 90 pages of posts to look at).  It was a lot of work, but so was the original posting.
Herb

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 05:08:04 PM »
Good job, Herb, and everyone else. Those pictures sure tell a story.
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 10:18:09 PM »
After the photobucket shaft I moved almost all my photos to two other photo hosts.  Since my computer died a few months ago and I had to get another one I lost all my photos saved to the computer.  I'm in the process of copying ALL the hosted photos to my computer just to be safe.  So far I've been very satisfied with imgBB and postimage .org.  It's a good idea to back up photos in more than one location.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
People losing valuable photos because of a computer crash or  through the manipulations and machinations of the ever-changing tech companies is all too common.  And it doesn’t have to happen.

I urge everyone to purchase an external hard drive to store all your photos.  These are also called portable hard drives and they’re about the size of a cigarette case (for those old enough to remember cigarette cases),  They plug into a USB port on your computer tower or laptop and give you a dedicated storage space for all your photos and other data that you can bring with you, transfer from one computer to another, store in a protected place, etc.

The current price is as low as $60 for 2 terabytes of storage. Terabyte is just a geeky pseudonym for “that’s a LOT of Longrifle and powder Horn photos”!