Author Topic: How to buy top quality photos of original Kentucky Rifles  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
How to buy top quality photos of original Kentucky Rifles
« on: January 16, 2020, 06:49:27 PM »
I keep hearing from our member that they just don’t get to see original American Longrifles. There are many reasons for this, where they live, ability to travel etc so I thought I would make members aware of what I consider to be one of the best ways (other than actually handling them) to see original rifles.

In case you are not familiar, let me introduce you to the Kentucky Rifle Foundation (KRF). Below is an excerpt from their website ( https://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/about-us/ ) I believe you will be pleased to know the mission of the KRF is to preserve the heritage of Kentucky Rifles. It certainly deserves our support.

Kentucky Rifle Foundation

Preserving the Heritage of the Kentucky Longrifle

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation’s mission is to preserve the heritage of the Kentucky Rifle thru educational programs and exhibits, museum assistance and the publication of books related to the history and significance of the Kentucky Rifle. This history is multi-dimensional and was intimately involved with the trials and tribulations of this nation’s early settlers.
The Kentucky Rifle Foundation is a non-profit, 501(c) (3) corporation and is funded by contributions, the sale of educational materials, fund raising events and endowments.

The KRF store (http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/ ) has a wonderful inventory of Longrifle related books and CD’s for sale.

I love books and own many of the ones listed on the KRF site but my favorite media are the CD’s. Most have photos of 20 original rifles with 10 to 15 photos of each rifle. In order to see what CD’s are available just click on the link above, then click on the title of CD’s containing rifles in your area of interest. There will be a listing of contents for that CD. The $20 price of the CD’s which I believe is a bargain. I think you will be more than happy with the professional color photographs

Also available are many books related to Kentucky Rifles. They too are full of professional color photos and associated text. Many of these book have a limited number printed. When they are sold the book will no longer be available (remember Moravian Gun Making of the American Revolution by Bob Lienemann and Steve Hench)!

Dennis

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:16:58 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sqrldog

Re: How to buy top quality photos of original Kentucky Rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
I agree entirely Dennis. Most inexpensive way to see some fine antique rifles. The best part is you can go back and review details as often as you like.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:42:54 PM »
I have a number of their CDs and have put them on USB thumb drives. I can bring them to CVS or Walgreens and use the self service photo machines and make enlargements (8x10 or 5x7) for my use in the shop when copying details and styles. Much better quality than my home printer.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 12:05:41 AM »
I have a few of the KRA disks and I like them also, would like to get more.  The pics are good, I like them better then books since I can zoom in for better detail.
Bob

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 05:06:55 AM »
KRA CD’s are wonderful reference And the money goes to support a great cause, preserving our history
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 06:43:52 AM »
I could not agree more. I love them.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline HIB

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 10:27:35 AM »
Gentlemen,  I would like to remind those individuals seeking the high quality images mentioned above to return to Dennis's initial post. The Kentucky Rifle Foundation otherwise referred to as the KRF is a completely separate entity from the Kentucky Rifle Association [KRA]. The Association is a well known and recognized collector group.The Foundation is considered the 'Educational Arm' of the Association.

Both organizations have close contact, however, they operate under separate by-laws, separate IRS regulations and separate board of directors. The 12 board of directors of the Foundation are selected members, in good standing, from the Association's 500 + membership. When ordering KRF books or CD's you are dealing with KRA members but supporting the fine work done by the Foundation's product development team providing educational tools for the builder and collector alike.

Currently there are over 15 regional CD's and an assortment of the top selling educational text and picture books available from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.    HIB