Author Topic: Best Sealer?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Prospector8083

Best Sealer?
« on: January 15, 2020, 10:38:38 PM »
 I used permalyn sealer on my last rifle. I got a very hard shiny surface which seemed to settle down after a few coats of oil finish. I don't like that look, is there a sealer out there that is not shiny and hard that still seals the wood up. Right now I am real hot on using minwax  antique oil finish after the sealer ! Excellent product! You get a big ol can of it like you should! :)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Best Sealer?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:21:40 AM »
Diluted fresh mixed shellac. That’s what Mitch (Tall Bear) uses. I learnt it from him.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:34:04 AM »
Chambers oil finish.  Easy to apply, and great, soft sheen.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 04:20:12 AM »
Never used a sealer, just Chambers oil finish.
Bob

DHS

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 07:44:38 AM »
Just use the Minwax antique oil.  No need for a sealer.  You can control the gloss by how much you apply and how long before you rub it out. 

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »
I like shellac, too.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 02:51:53 PM »
Jim Chambers oil finish.

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »
On most of  my  builds I've used 2 generous  wipe on/wipe off  coats of uncut LMF sealer w/ approx. a 10 min absorption  time before wiping  off....a complete drying between coats. After the 2nd coat is dry, a hard rub down w/ 0000 steel wool  removes any unabsorbed sealer that's on the surface. A good vacuuming rids the stock of debris.

I then use 2 very sparse  coats of  Wahkon Bay Trucoat  which is rubbed in w/ the fingers w/ a complete dry between coats.  The final finish is quite dull , but a good rubbing w/ a fluffy towel yields a nice low sheen surface.  The final result is a finish that looks like there isn't any finish.......Fred

picture hosting
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:47:43 PM by flehto »

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 04:42:45 PM »

I agree with what Dane said.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 05:23:25 PM »

I agree with what Dane said.

Mole Eyes

Me too! Good stuff, I have never gotten the knack for properly rubbing down Permalyn sealer which I was told is best for longrifle finish.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 05:38:42 PM »
I've tried them all it seems like. The best I have found is the CCL Traditional English finish sold by the Double Gun Journal. I had an old WC Scott shotgun that needed major wood repair in lock area. I hated to lose the beautiful finish that was on the gun but I had to remove all the original finish from stock so that I could remove oil soaked areas so that epoxy would bond. I decided to try the CCL finish on it. The finish does take several weeks to apply but the end result was that the gun looked like the original finish when I was done. I have since finished two longrifles with it and absolutely love the finish and color. This is a true hand rubbed oil finish.

Offline sdilts

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
Try rubbing down the Permalyn with rottenstone mixed with mineral oil. Use a soft toothbrush dipped in the mixture and go over the stock. Wipe off with a soft cloth. It cuts the gloss and leaves a nice sheen. Really easy to do. Bill Shipman recommends this.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 11:04:01 PM »
Chambers oil will give the same, or better sheen, without all the extra work.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Prospector8083

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 11:38:53 PM »
Thanks to all who posted, VERY impressive pictures! That is exactly the 'look' I am trying to come up with. I just found this minwax colonial and it is very impressive . There is a video on utube showing a guy using sandpaper to apply the oil starting with 600 and goes finer using a lot of oil and never letting it dry but immediately wiped off with paper towels. I tried it on one of my older rifles and was very impressed with it. You get 32ozs for 20 bucks too! :) I am definitely trying Chamber's oil though, I have a hunch they are very similar.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 04:01:23 AM »
I really like the Chamber's oil finish but I don't think I would try applying it with sandpaper.  Getting the stock ready for staining and finishing takes a lot of work and time because I'm not satisfied until the wood is smooth as possible. I just can't imagine putting finish on with sandpaper.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 04:09:23 AM »
I think that sandpaper/finishing deal is used to fill grain on walnut.
Andover, Vermont

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 04:09:35 AM »
As Rich mentioned I use a coat of seed lac as a sealer.I use what's called a 1lb. cut which is pretty thin.This is the sealer with one thin coat of finish on to.Still have several more to go......

Mitch

Offline Prospector8083

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 04:24:55 AM »
He says to barely sand it to fill the pores and use a lot of oil as it pretty cheap comparably. It definitely works, I did it up to 1500 grit and it feels like marble its so smooth.  Yes, if you are not real careful you could get to color.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »
Dark horse,
It is recommended to sand or steel wool between coats to assure a good bond.  Skotchbrite is not sand paper, rather synthetic steel wool.  Applying later coats with skotchbrite pad eliminates that step, and the associated dust.  Beats the heck out of sandin dust, AND no rubbing back with rottenstone.
In the past, I've tried numerous finishes...... none are as easy, and nice looking as Mr Chambers oil finish.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »
Smallpatch, I do lightly sand with very fine sandpaper between coats, then vacuum the stock, then a light rubdown with a barely damp cloth. I do this between every coat. I don't use steel wool at this stage. After the final coat has dried I have lightly sanded it  using very fine steel wool to knock back the shine a little. Chambers finish is very easy to use and forgiving. I have finished a stock by hand rubbing each coat. I have also applied the finish with a piece of clean hard cloth, then sanded, then the last coat is rubbed in by my palm. Both methods worked equally well.

I do know about filling the pores in walnut by using sandpaper and oil to create a slurry which fills the pores but I wasn't thinking about that in my earlier reply. I was only thinking about the maple we use for gunstocks. I have never seen the need to do this with curly maple.
This my .40 caliber Turkey rifle. It has 8 hand rubbed coats of Chambers finish which produced a hard, deep shine. I used fine steel wool to knock back most of the shine to help prevent reflection and in general make it harder for a turkey to see.
The rifle and finish have gone through over 15 seasons now and the finish has held up well through rain and shine.

American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Prospector8083

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 02:00:51 PM »
Just ordered some grey and white scotch bright from amazon!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
Not to derail this finish conversation, but....

Mitch, that is some beautiful shell carving on that wooden patchbox!

God bless, and best wishes, Marc

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
Not to derail this finish conversation, but....

Mitch, that is some beautiful shell carving on that wooden patchbox!

Thanks Marc

It's on a rifle I'm finishing up based on the Andreas Albrecht remnant rifle from RCA 1.The shell carving is taken from the tray front of coffee grinder he made.I'm delivering it to Lewisburg in a couple of weeks.If I get a chance I'll take some more pics when it's done.

Mitch