Author Topic: Any suggestions or guidance on going from full stock to half stock?  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Kary

I’m thinking of making my full stock Southern Mountain rifle into a half stock with a wooden underlug. It seems straightforward enough, but would like to hear from those who have done it and if you can show me pictures that would be great too.
My rifle has a lollipop tang, 42 inch barrel and has a similiar profile as the kibler SMR. I can’t seem to upload photos right now. Anyhow.. thanks for any input you have!
Kary

Offline mark esterly

Re: Any suggestions or guidance on going from full stock to half stock?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:13:23 AM »
i would suggest you don't do it.  make a totally different rifle
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Kary

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 12:25:27 AM »
Why would you not do it? Could you give me an explanation?

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 12:47:25 AM »
S.

I've thought about doing that to some parts that have been lingering in my shop.. do to a bad gun build deal.. ( LONG STORY )
the situation left such a bad taste in my mouth I haven't even taken the stock blank and barrel down outta the shops rafters for quite a while!

Thinking its time to make it into to something,  different from the original .. I've considering docking and re-breeching it to a 36-38" barrel length.
cutting the blank into a half stock and mounting one of my Mule Ear locks to it.   make the under rib  from woood as I like doing that!! nothing fancy,
iron furniture and maybe no butt plate.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 12:56:26 AM »
 ??? ???... many original Tennessee rifles are now half-stock that were originally full-stock,... the upper fore-arm being very thin was sometimes broken or split, and it was easier and quicker just to cut away the broken part and move the nosecap back, and add rammer pipes to an under "rib" or just solder to the bottom barrel flat,...I have one that has a wooden rib pinned to the barrel under lugs and the pipes pinned to the wooden rib,... I have another that has the pipes attatched to the barrel lugs ... no rib,... I must say the rib looks nicer in profile, but the ones attatched to the bottom flat serve their purpose,... you can usually tell if the rifle-gun was originally fullstock by the location of the underlugs, finish on the bottom three flats, and a faint line on the side flats where the forearm wood once was,... they shot just as well with the forearm removed, and these old mountain riflemen were not too proud to use them,... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,...

Offline Kary

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 12:56:58 AM »
Yes, I’m in the same situation. I had this restocked... it was a fast job and by fast I mean... well.. shabby at best. I had a friend help me smooth most of the rifle out.. but it still has a clunky, bulky forestock. I don’t know if I possess the skill to build another, so this is the basis for my decision to do the half stock. I think I have the tools,skill and time, to do that job.

Offline Kary

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:59:38 AM »
CC Fiddler, that’s what I’m after. Thanks for the information!