Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this longrifle ?  (Read 2511 times)

Online Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
Does anyone recognize this longrifle ?
« on: January 16, 2020, 12:23:00 AM »
I got to take a look at this rifle today. I thought I got some good photos but only four are decent. I'm pretty sure the gun has been cut. Maybe converted from flint. There is a modern sight installed. But it does have some good qualities. Here is what i I have.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:14:31 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline flintlock hunter

Re: Does anyone recognize this longrifle ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:39:41 AM »
The patch box finial and trigger guard look western Pa. But I'm no expert.
Barry

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:33:42 AM »
Highly doubt it was a flint due to single lock bolt, nothing on the lock plate indicates being reworked for percussion.  The rifle looks like it’s from Ohio, narrow trigger guard, dished scallops on PB finial and the cutout look like guns in “Ohio Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesman”.
Bob

Online Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 05:00:31 AM »
Thanks, I guess I was assuming a conversion  because I assuming a cut barrel. The rear sight seems to be set back pretty far. I guess I should try and get another, better look at the rifle.  If I do I'll get some better photos.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:48:06 PM »
The barrel looks pretty crusty. There may be a signature under that. Western Pennsylvania or Ohio seem likely. A picture of the cheek side of the butt stock Might help. It’s a nice looking percussion
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »
Take your pictures outside, the natural lighting will make for much more detailed pictures.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 08:46:14 PM »
I'm curious, How long is the barrel, and where is the rear sight in relation to the rear ramrod entry pipe?
On the side plate side, is there a forward bolt hole, or inlay where one might have been?
On the lock side, does the cutout for a flint hammer look old and original, or recently cut?

John Robbins

Online Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 08:54:31 PM »
Thanks all for your advice and input. I'll have to make another visit. This time not be so rushed.
I'll post more and better info if I can get it.
Thanks again, Dave

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 02:33:35 AM »
Take your pictures outside, the natural lighting will make for much more detailed pictures.

Avoid direct sunlight unless it's overcast or cloudy though.  Bright unfiltered sunlight makes for harsh and washed out pics.  If it's a bluebird day use the shade of a carport, overhang, or cedar bush-or something for better results.  Thanks for sharing.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 02:48:08 AM »

Avoid direct sunlight unless it's overcast or cloudy though.  Bright unfiltered sunlight makes for harsh and washed out pics.  If it's a bluebird day use the shade of a carport, overhang, or cedar bush-or something for better results.  Thanks for sharing.

Gotta close your aperture down and ISO100, use an ND filter, or use a camera like on an iPhone which is set to auto by default, has a teetiny aperture and should do just fine.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 03:00:17 AM »
And back up a bit to get more of the gun in the pic. Close ups are good, but showing the gun from butt plate to half way up the forearm are great too.
John Robbins

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 01:25:16 AM »
I like afternoon light for pictures, never had a problem with pictures being washed out but I do pick just the right angle and often use a fill in flash. I like overcast days outside as well.

I was once a hobby photographer, had my own darkroom back in the black and white days. I was in heaven on Coleman Barracks in Mannheim Germany, they had an elaborate darkroom for us GIs to use, all the best equipment, the enlarger had a Leica lens, the chemical tanks were always full.

Bright light;

Overcast;

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:31:35 AM by Eric Krewson »