Author Topic: Dyeing Leather  (Read 1356 times)

RoaringBull

Dyeing Leather
« on: January 16, 2020, 05:35:37 AM »
OK guys. I'm sure this topic has been covered any number of times, but I thought I would ask the experts again anyway. I'm about to get back into working leather and ned all the advice I can get.

What is the best way to get a nice even beautiful coloring of your leather work? I plan to be using veg tan.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Dyeing Leather
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 05:44:21 AM »
An airbrush has been best for me.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 02:31:20 AM »
This is not as simple a topic as would appear.

The first thing I'd advise is to read the hide.  Run a damp, but not soaked, cloth or sponge  over the piece you want to dye.  That will show any blemishes or irregularities that will affect the flow of the dye.

For about fifteen years I have been piling  a coat of neatsfoot oil on the leather and then, with wool patch and rubber gloves, rubbing  in the dye in broad circles.  I like to get the dye right on after the oil because the oil helps spread it.  My Old Master used to do this with just water, but I never liked the tactile skills necessary to get just the right amount of water in.  Work slowly enough so as to see the dye working in.

Dye will get irregular if the leather is either too dry and soaks it up irregularly or if there is variance in the fibers.

Lastly, and this may sound a little curious, there is such a thing as too uniform.  For the most part ( but not always) The factory/ industrial, dead-on even  look on hides is more of a product  of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Just my own prejudice here.

Don't take all this as gospel, either.  You'd be surprised how many techniques there are out there and, hopefully, Coyotes like James Rogers, Marcruger and Sligo BIll and other talented craftsmen  will pitch in on this thread.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 08:33:21 PM »
I am no expert at dye work. Still learning, but here is how I do it....
1) Buy good leather
2) Use Fiebing’s Pro Dye
3) Thin the dye
4) Apply with small piece of sheepskin in circular motion
5) Let dry overnight
6) Continue 4 and 5 until it looks right, and leave a shade lighter than final as oil will darken.
7) After drying, rub in a coat of oil and let dry overnight
8) Apply top finish, let dry, buff

Well, that is how I do it mostly. I hope that helps someone. Patience is a required virtue for leatherwork, if you ask me.

God bless, Marc

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:26:35 AM »
I am no expert at dye work. Still learning, but here is how I do it....
1) Buy good leather
2) Use Fiebing’s Pro Dye
3) Thin the dye
4) Apply with small piece of sheepskin in circular motion
5) Let dry overnight
6) Continue 4 and 5 until it looks right, and leave a shade lighter than final as oil will darken.
7) After drying, rub in a coat of oil and let dry overnight
8) Apply top finish, let dry, buff

Well, that is how I do it mostly. I hope that helps someone. Patience is a required virtue for leatherwork, if you ask me.

God bless, Marc

I'm light years from being anywhere in the vicinity of skill level of Marc and the others on here...

But #1 and #2 are spot on. Pro dye is almost hard to goof up. Downside is the options are somewhat limited... But you can thin, mix, etc...

Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »
Again, I am learning like most here.  Comment #1 comes from getting two hides in a row from Tandy that refused to take dye.  James Rogers was patient and diagnosed my issue.  I was on the verge of quitting leather work.  We need to recognize those who are on the path before us, and are kind enough to help others.  God bless, Marc

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
Marc,

Thanks for the concise steps.  I've never dyed leather, but I bought some Fiebing's and I'm about to jump in.  In step 7, what kind/brand oil do you use?  Same question on the "top finish".  Thanks and God bless you too.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 08:32:10 PM »
I use the Fiebing's 100% Pure Neatsfoot Oil for moisturizing the leather.  Rubbed on in thin coats.  Hope this helps!   God Bless,   Marc

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 09:08:48 PM »
All I’ve died are powder horn straps. I use a 1” sponge brush, one layer, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then, using more microfiber, I pull the strap through the cloth to remove excess several times. After it’s done drying I apply a layer of resolene with a 1” square piece cut from the same microfiber cloth. Dampen the leather a bit and rub on the resolene. Let try for 30 minutes and buff, then set overnight or for a few hours to finish.