Author Topic: Speaking of metal cutting bandsaw's ...  (Read 1068 times)

Offline J. Talbert

Speaking of metal cutting bandsaw's ...
« on: January 16, 2020, 06:29:27 AM »
Does anyone know if there's a reasonably priced, commercially made, vertical design, metal cutting band saw on the market.
I'd prefer to be able to buy one ready to go rather than have to adapt a horizontal design to a vertical set up.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Speaking of metal cutting bandsaw's ...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:44:56 AM »
Jeff, I use a DEWALT portable bandsaw...I just put it vertically in my bench vise, and use a tapered piece of wood to hold the trigger down. Other than the small “table”, it works fine, and stows away easily when not needed.

Here are a couple of not very good photos, but you’ll get the idea...

Greg

image host
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:51:09 AM »
I use a portable bandsaw also, although mine is a 2009 'horrible freight' version (this version is no longer made, but it did have a trigger lock which you need).  I built a wood stand and had an 1/8" plate on it for a table.  I finally bought a 'SWAG' top and it fits my needs without another large expensive machine that won't fit in my closet size shop.

Here's the SWAG top -

I built this using this bandsaw (also used a lathe & bench mill) -

Although my saw has lasted 10 years (touch wood!!) I'd recommend buying an American built saw and get a SWAG top, too.

Mike

Offline Goo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »
There is machine tool dealer www.lostcreekmachine.com they have lots of stuff at reasonable prices have bought from them several times I was always satisfied.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:58:25 PM »
They sell metal cutting blades for bands saws you'd use for wood. I have one I haven't got to use yet. But it should handle anything I would throw at it. Might look into that option

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
The Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaw is very popular in the metalworking circles. I have had mine for twenty years and it has never let me down an can be used either vertically or horizontally. A couple simple mods will make it much better such as building a more sturdy stand for it and making a new vertical table. There are many websites that are devoted to these saws. I would recommend replacing the factory blade with a high quality bi-metal blade.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 01:26:01 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Looks like ther are several options.
I'll check them out.

Much obliged ,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline hudson

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 04:46:45 AM »
I have been using one of those small Harbor Freight type cut off saws for years (1/2 x 64 ½” blade), great little saws and as a cutoff saw will do allot larger work than you would think. With some they are supplied with a small removable table to be used in the vertical position. You can make a seat to set on that slips over the bead when used vertical. The only problem with the saws is the legs need reinforced horizontally at the base. The two wheels are not mounted vary solid either, simple fixes.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 05:44:05 AM »
Have a older 12” Craftsman bandsaw that I would like to equip to cut up to 1/8”  brass or 1/16” cold older steel. Does anyone have a recommendation for blades and/or sources for blades that would fit this bandsaw and do the job. I think from all I read that it should probably be a 1/2” blade but not sure what number of teeth to look for. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
elkhorne