Author Topic: To make wit conjecture or to not make wit conjecture. Um Juss Sayn  (Read 1089 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
This Swedish Guy gets off the ship in Philadelphia, we’ll say around 1748 or so, and makes his way through Delaware, the Lehigh Valley area and maybe as far as the Weiser Homestead.  Then he melts into the forest and disappears from view.  Maybe a little trading with the Indians, maybe some smuggling, part-time farming with some hunting and meat for  barter with the local farms .  Few folks like him because he frequently consorts with the local Indians
He’s carrying a knife like this one I made and has a sheath (also like this one I made)  he did not finish while on the boat.

I won’t call it a Puukko or Leuko because , after viewing a bunch of YouTube Videos I thought any knife with a stacked handle and straight blade  could be called that until Brokkennock pointed out that there was a certain bevel to the edge that was characteristic.  So I call ‘em Cuckoo Knives.  Close enough.

Contrary to wut youse may tink I dih not put a contract out on Brokennock  ( I mean no disrespect)  because I am a peaceful man who don’t whack every Skifozzo he disagrees wit.  Capeesh?

So anyway…how to finish this sheath…a simple belt loop using the thread I left in place?  A neck thong?  Some adorable deer hair cones down the center of a buckskin cover with lovely white beads on the edges that will accessorize with any outfit?

Is there an HC ( yuch) or a PC ( pit-ooey) example that you may have?

Anything in The Big Sky, Across The Wide MIssouri or Drums Along The Mohawk that stands out?
Maybe have a few beers before any of you post in this thread.

Tight Stitches
Capgun

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: To make wit conjecture or to not make wit conjecture. Um Juss Sayn
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 07:14:04 PM »
Capgun, it is a very useful shape and size for a belt knife, one that could be used for cleaning your fingernails or for cleaning your moose.  Wouldn't mind carrying one for daily use.

But that sheath cries out for some decoration!  Perhaps some thing bright and sassy along the blade edge side of the sheath.  Even some little beads would be nice, but definitely something colorful.

Just my thoughts.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 04:17:23 AM »
Your grind is pretty close to a "Scandi grind," just take away the secondary bevel, shown by the bright metal right near the edge, and carry your grind from the bevel you have just below the spine all the way to the edge. Not having the secondary bevel allows for much finer/shallower cuts when carving and shaping wood.
A common feature of Scandinavian sheaths, at least now, is a small tab with a button hole in it, this allows for the knife to be carried attached to a button on one's overalls, I'm not sure how far this dates back.

The smallest knife and the largest knife shown, while.not traditional Scandi designs, have Scandi grind blades.
Now then, it's time to go kill an Elg and dress it with that knife, won't get more Scandinavian than that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:10:04 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »
I have made a couple puukko, one has a birch bark handle.
We have my grandfather's which he brought with him from
Finland.
I had an idea for a persona. A Finn working for the Russian American
Company.

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 10:54:48 PM »
Here is a photo of a knife and sheath i did though I bought the blade.  The handle is birch bark.