Author Topic: Gouge Sharpening  (Read 1112 times)

Offline JLayne

Gouge Sharpening
« on: January 17, 2020, 08:18:49 PM »
Hello all,

Anybody on here ever done a video on sharpening smaller gouges (say 5mm or so) such as are used in longrifle carving?  I have seen a few non-ALR videos on the web, and have tried a few techniques, but I still have a tough time getting a good sharp edge on a gouge as opposed to a chisel. In fact, there have been sometimes when I think I actually made the edge worse than before I started. So I would be interested to hear if any of you have, or know of, some techniques you could share.

Thanks,
Jay

Offline elk killer

Re: Gouge Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 08:29:41 PM »
Gouges are a bear, I took a hole saw and cut out about 5 leather circles from a old thick piece of leather I had..then put 2 washers and a bolt and bolted then together,,i chuck it up in the drill press and hold the gouge aginst the spinning leather,, sharpens them well can do the inside too some use rouge on the leather but I never found it to be needed, works for me
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 08:32:57 PM »
Jay,
On an outside sharpened gauge, you roll it in a figure of 8 on your oil-stone to sharpen, then take the burrs off the inside if present.
Use more or less the full length of your oil-stone and do it slowly till you see your roll covers the whole cutting edge.

Online Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 08:44:13 PM »
I use the method Wallace Gussler demonstrates during his carving DVD.  Hold the gouge steady and work the stone on it almost like a file.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »
For final finishing of the inside I clamp a pine board edge up in the vise and rasp it rounded to match the inside of the gouge for about 6-8”. Then I use the gouge, upside down, to cut the rounded edge to mate perfectly. Then I slather some polishing compound on the humped edge of the board and strop the inside.

If the inside needs real work I use the same technique and put 400 grit paper on the board and get the inside of the gouge nice and even. Then 600 then polishing compound. It takes longer to explain than doing it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:22:14 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 09:42:16 PM »
American Pioneer Video has a dvd with Mike Miller showing his method of carving and he goes into detail on sharpening chisels and gouges. I thought it was interesting and worth the money. Tim Cosby (no r)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:01:17 AM by sqrldog »

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 04:47:28 AM »
Although his DVD is for general wood carving, it would also work for sharpening gouges, chisels and V tools used in decorating gun stocks.  The title is Sharpening Simplified by Everett Ellenwood and he goes into sharpening techniques for many of the popular methods.  An excellent reference!