Author Topic: Got a package from Chambers today!  (Read 2000 times)

Buckskinner

Got a package from Chambers today!
« on: January 17, 2020, 09:14:13 PM »
Finally got my York kit from Chambers today, long 3 months!!!  This is my second build and am minutes away from digging into it, so very fired up!  My wife expects to see me very little in the next couple months.  A lot of great info that I pilfered from this site for first build, (although I didn't post, sorry) so I decided to activate...  I'm sure bunch more will surface.

Should be fun!

I should also add that I just noticed that they knocked $100 off of the wood upgrade due to the long wait for the stock to be milled.  It is a pleasure doing business with Chamber's and I enjoyed chatting with Barbie... Highly recommend them, again!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:25:58 PM by Buckskinner »

Offline Richard

• North of 54
Re: Got a package from Chambers today!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 12:47:50 AM »
I find that Chambers York with the Rice "A" weight barrel is light to shoulder and balances perfectly. Enjoy it!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 12:53:35 AM »
Good choice Buckskinner, that York kit make a super sleek slim long rifle that will be a joy to carry and shoot. I think its inspiration is George Schroyer who mad some of the most pleasing looking guns IMHO. :)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 01:03:23 AM »
I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product.  :)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 01:05:00 AM »
Makes me wish I was born right handed and dominant eyed like all you normal folks.  Should make a beautiful rifle.
Mike

Buckskinner

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:27 PM »
Thanks!  I am looking forward to shooting it.  It is a huge difference to the first rifle I built which was the Edward Marshall kit from Chambers, which is I guess what you would call, not sleek...

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »
Pics or someone else built it for you!

Buckskinner

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
Pics or someone else built it for you!

Ha! It's a far cry from most of the builds here, but I was extremely satisfied of how it came out.  And I owe a huge thanks to Dave Person for his tutelage throughout the process or it would have been an unsightly beast for sure.  So many issues that he walked me through as well as the architecture.  There are plenty of skeletons in it and things that I would modify, but I have the York to progress with!

Started out as a whim looking at Traditions kits as a Christmas present from my wife and blossomed from there.  Now she just shakes her head at what it's turned into.

And the darn thing actually fires!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 06:22:54 PM »
Looks awesome. Third pic down shows the ramrod in upside down. Tapered end goes down for easy entry through the pipes and into ramrod hole. Color and metal finish looks nice. Turned out great. Look at some pics of originals to see where you may have missed a tiny bit for the next one. It seems you made a small adjustment in the architecture where the top line of the wrist flows into the buttstock. Pic #1. Small thing. It may be an illusion. Bet she shoots like a dream. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:36:23 PM by Bob McBride »

Buckskinner

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 11:56:29 PM »
Looks awesome. Third pic down shows the ramrod in upside down. Tapered end goes down for easy entry through the pipes and into ramrod hole. Color and metal finish looks nice. Turned out great. Look at some pics of originals to see where you may have missed a tiny bit for the next one. It seems you made a small adjustment in the architecture where the top line of the wrist flows into the buttstock. Pic #1. Small thing. It may be an illusion. Bet she shoots like a dream. Good stuff.

Thanks.  I don't know, that ramrod tip took a lot of work, so I kinda don't want to hide it!

I poured over all images that I could find of the Edward Marshal rifle, problem is I don't have the eye for them yet and my rifle is the only flintlock that I have ever really seen up close so hard for me to reference.  I hope to find some good examples locally before I get into the meat and potatoes of this one.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 12:02:46 AM »
I know the feeling. All that work just to tuck it away. Find a traditional muzzleloader show near you. You can fondle originals until your heart's content. Like I said, turned out really  great. You should be proud of it. On to the next!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 12:18:30 AM »
Mighty nice looking! Enjoy!
Tom C.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 01:57:29 AM »
I put my ramrods in the same way yours is positioned.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.