Author Topic: Long Rifle, new to me  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Don

• Starting Member
Long Rifle, new to me
« on: January 19, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »
First post here, so hope this is in the right place.  Bought a new to me Long Rifle.  The insert below is a bit on it's history, interesting.  I'd like any thoughts on it's specific link to an original builder's style , ie. Lancaster county, Buck's, Haines etc.  Pictures below.  The only markings are on the lock, any thoughts on the markings?  Guessing Jim Chambers is the place for replacement lock parts and up grades.  It's a .50 cal 38" swamped barrel.  Never removed a full stock pinned barrel so have not looked under it for markings.  So any coaching on best way to remove the barrel would be appreciated.  Someone may have removed it at one time and chipped the wood at the back of the tang, hoping photo is clear enough.  Any thoughts on lifting the dents and dings by the pins?  Any thoughts on stain and finish used?  Shoots low for me, groups nice.  Any thoughts on where to get taller rear and front sights for it?  the ram rod sits proud of the muzzle by2", the forward lock screw stops it.  Build flaw I'm guessing, any thoughts on a fix?  Considering tapering the rod or notching the screw.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Don,                                                                                 12 Nov. 2019

Your rifle was crafted by a Vietnam Vet named  James (Jim) Callaghan. He is/was a Gunsmith living in  Massachusetts, USA in the 1980's.

He made the rifle in the mid 1980's for a man in the “Butlers Rangers” Unit  of reenactors in Saint John, NB.

This rifle was crafted for a member of the Butlers Rangers named Doug Fowler.  Unfortunately, Doug had passed away by the time that Jim arrived in Saint John for Loyalist Days with his rifle 
Therefore, it was purchased by Doug's friend - Rod Bourgoin. (    ?    ) in Saint John, NB.

Rod then sold this rifle to Bernie Breau, Moncton in 2018 but Bernie never fired the rifle.

It was then sold to Doran in 2019, who has not fired this rifle either.   -  Now it is yours.

The barrel is Getz..
The lock is Siler.
Parts are made by Jim (some maybe sourced from Track-Wolf).
Wood was locally sourced.

Rod inform me that this rifle is historically correct for the Revolution period in the South Carolina style.

Offline LynnC

Re: Long Rifle, new to me
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:02:04 AM »
Hi Don. Welcome

I an assist with some of your inquiries.

Sights look fine to me. If it shoots low, carefully file the height of the front sight down a little at a time to bring up the point of impact. Best done After you have decided on its best accurate load

I wouldnt remove the barrel myself. Some folks do to clean the barrel and some dont. I clean mine in the stock.

Lock bolt could be notched. But it would have to be turned in to same orientation every time

The dings are minor to my eye. A few battle scars if you will....

Enjoy your rifle!

Lynn
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:06:45 AM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 02:05:41 AM »
That lock is a large Siler assembled by Locks-n-stuff (LS) by a fellow by the name of Herman Stone. The brass mounts look like Bivins castings. The stock looks an awfully lot like many of what Wayne Dunlap sold back in the 80s. An Isaac Haines pattern of what we called back then "Getz Kits". Those normally came with set triggers. All of those kits came with a 38 inch barrel.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:34:16 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 02:09:56 AM »
That's a nice rifle and a keeper.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 04:52:09 AM »
Hi Don,
It looks like some sort of "Isaac Haines" kit, which is a shortened version of one style from Lancaster.  I don't think there is anything "South Carolina" about it but maybe someone else can chime in.  Below is Chambers version of that kit and you can see the similarities although not exactly the same.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Don

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 05:06:08 AM »
Thank you all for the valuable input and kind remarks!   Learning a lot here.