Author Topic: Lets see your Hawken/Plains Rifle  (Read 28825 times)

Offline Herb

Re: Lets see your Hawken/Plains Rifle
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 11:10:39 PM »
Lienemann, those are nice looking Hawkens.
Herb

Offline blienemann

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »
Thank you, Herb - means a lot coming from you.  Back in late 70's and early 80's there were some fine builders in Colorado, and i was fortunate to learn with them.  Then the Hawken craze shifted to black powder cartridge, and for a decade or two you could buy fine Hawken rifles for $500.  I worked backwards in time to colonial work and even Europe over the years, but it feels real good to see some interest shifting back to the Shinin' Mountains and the rifles that were carried here.  Bob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2020, 02:18:28 AM »
Here's a .50 I custom made for Rachel.

I am glad I am NOT the only geezer on this forum that has a lovely young woman in
his life.My young friend is 29 and a history teacher whose education was remiss and
she has blacker than black hair and green eyes.Also close to being engaged to a fine
young man who figured out he has a treasure in his life.
BobRoller

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2020, 03:50:17 AM »
Here's a .50 I custom made for Rachel.

Rachel is very pretty and her rifle is too!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 10:08:22 PM »
Pistol-Grip Hawken:

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 03:01:41 AM »
A unique and extremely nice rifle Daryl.

Offline adam h

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 03:05:45 AM »
Daryl, thanks for adding photos of this hawken I really like it.
must be because its a little different. kind like me.
adam

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 05:34:59 PM »
I have two Hawken Rifles. One full stock percussion 54 caliber made by John Bergman and another Half Stock made by Roger Sells. It is a 50 caliber Kit Carson.  I don't have a picture of my Bergman Hawkjen but here is a link to his web site showing various rifles he has made.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/flntlok/page1

I do have a picture of my Roger Sells Hawken.

iloco

Offline heinz

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 07:26:19 PM »
Here is my percussion, Bill Large 54 cal barrel. Bob Roller lock and triggers, my son and grandson up in Minnesota have "borrowed" it along with my fullstock flint Hawken.

kind regards, heinz

Offline Herb

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 11:46:22 PM »
Keeping the thread rolling- or would that be pulling?-
There is my copy of an original Wiliam Hawken St. Louis rifle that was for sale on Gunbroker, with enough photos that I was able to scale it out and build this copy.  This barrel is a 13/16" x 36" GRRW that I described in RE: Sights Help by Smokey Plainsman Jan 24th, the one Bill straightened for me.  Here it was entered in a juried art show where it won first place in the sculpture division, theme "Rusty Rails and Outlaw Trails".

I don't remember what this top rifle with the .54 GRRW barrel was to become.  Second one is a .54 Douglas barreled rifle I built from a stick (I think), or maybe an inletted blank.  Can't find my early pictures.  Third is a .58 flinter that is now owned by Hatchet Jack.  Taylor Sapergia bought it from me to replace one for Hatchet Jack that got burned in a fire, probably the one Taylor just posted on, here.  Hatchet just wrote me that in the six years he has had it, he put just over 10,400 rounds through it, and he keeps records of each shot.  That is after the maybe 1500 rounds I shot it, can't remember.
Fourth one is Rachel's (in my post pictured above) before finishing, .50 caliber.

I engraved the lock and barrel of that .54 Douglas, and after a couple thousand rounds and about 16 years, gave it to my nephew.

My second .58 fullstock flinter, now Hatchet Jack's, then the engraved .54, next a .40 Squirrel rifle/regular Hawken hybrid, then Rachel's, finished.

Side view of the same rifles.

Herb

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2020, 01:40:50 AM »
Nice rifles! Herb, where did you acquire the parts for the .40 Squirrel rifle?
Rob

Offline Herb

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 03:45:46 AM »

AmericanLongRifles Forums »
    Search »
    Search Results

Search results for: scaled down hawken type rifles
Pages: [1]
Black Powder Shooting / Re: Scaled down Hawken type rifles?
« Message by Herb on December 10, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
Smoke PM'd me to ask where I got the parts.  Most are from Track of the Wolf, including the pewter for the nose cap.  .40 CAPLOCK BRIDGER HAWKEN PARTS:

Lock, Jim Bridger Hawken percussion, by R.E. Davis,  $82.50
Stock, maple halfstock blank, grade 4 sugar maple, TOW,  45.00
Barrel, Rice Barrel Co., 7/8x31" .40 caliber, 1-48 twist, round bottom grooves, 135.00
Breech, Hawken squirrel patent breech, 15/16" octagon, 5/8 x 18 thread,  31.00
Rib, 24" lipped steel octagon, Muzzleloader Builders Supply,  15.00
Butt Plate, Jim Bridger Classic Early Hawken, wax cast steel, BP-HAWK-JB-I,  20.00
Front sight, wax cast steel, FS-G-355-I,  6.50
Rear sight, semi-buckhorn wax cast steel, RS-PA-16,  6.50
Nipple, Hot Shot by Thompson Center,  4.00
Underlug for barrel staple, handmade from nail,  1.00
Wedge key, slotted wax cast steel, Key 36-I,  4.00
Inlay, slotted oval, iron, two IN-SLOT-2-I,  3.50
Toeplate, Early Hawken iron, TP-HAWK-3-I,  5.50
Forend cap, poured pewter,  10.00
Rod entry pipe, round with skirt, iron, 3/8", RP-TC-RE-6-I,  5.50
Rod pipes  3/8 steel, forward, two handmade,  10.00
Sideplate, Hawken wax cast steel, SP-HP-1-I,  3.00
Trigger, Ron Long Hawken double set, TR-PA-20,  55.00
Triggerguard, Late Hawken Half-Stock, wax cast steel, TG-HAWK-H-I,  18.00
Ramrod, 3/8" hickory, handmade, two,  10.00
Rod tips, brass, 8x32, two,  2.50
Rod tips, 3/8" brass jag and 3/8" breech face scraper,  4.00
Rod tip with steel ball puller, and cap, brass,  5.00
Stain, Fiebings dark brown oil leather dye and Muzzleloader Builders Color Rich, 5.00
Finish, Formby's high gloss tung oil,  2.00
Metal Finish, Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown Degreaser,  2.00
Bolts, 8x32 tang and lock, plus ten screws,  4.00
Shipping, three sources,  38.00
TOTAL PARTS COST:  533.50.

I furnish such a list of parts for all rifles I build, usually with complete part numbers.  Also a "GUNSMITH'S CERTIFICATE":  .40CAPLOCK BRIDGER HAWKEN
This is a shorter, lighter rifle based on a Jim Bridger Hawken.  All the hardware is the same except the Rice barrel is a 7/8" .40 caliber 31 inches long, fitted with a Hawken squirrel patent breech.  The grade 4 maple stock is a little smaller in the forend, but the buttstock is of the same dimestions as a .54 Bridger Hawken I built for Ron XXXXX in April, 2000.

Ron wanted a lighter, smaller caliber Hawken for casual target shooting and we arranged a trade.  This smaller rifle has the correct Hawken parts, a Bridger lock, early buttplate, late triggerguard, toe plate and side plate and Ron Long double set triggers.  I browned the metal with 10 coats of rust and sealed it with hot beeswax.  The stock is finished with dark brown dye and ten coats of Formby's gloss tung oil.

I engraved the lock after the pattern of an original J&S Hawken lock, and so stamped it.  The engraving was done on the browned plate and hammer, so it stands out white, as Ron wanted it on the .54 Hawken.

The parts cost $533.50 and it took me about 120 hours to build this rifle.

I stamped the bottom flat of the barrel at the breech "Built by Herbert G. Troester  for Ron XXXXX  Vernal, Utah  January 2008  SN34".

Notify

Herb

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2020, 04:52:36 AM »
Thanks Herb thats a great list for reference!
Rob

Offline heelerau

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2020, 08:46:01 AM »
Might this rifle qualify as a plains Hawken style rifle? Made by a member of the Adelaide Muzzle loading club over 30 years ago. All iron mounts and in .50,

Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »
Don King Hawkens at the Chadron Rendezvous in 1973

More at the Montana Historical Gunmakers Fair 2010

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 08:58:59 AM »

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 09:10:25 AM »
I think there are only 3 castings in these Don King rifles the cock, frizzen and frizzen spring. He used some original forged springs for mainsprings. The lock internal parts for  the guns, were made by Carney Pace and the same internals were used in Schillingers Hawken lock. Don made everything else in shop except the barrels which were Douglas. He used an original FS Hawken he had access to as a pattern for the stock.
I have no idea how many Don made. He stopped journaling his work in 1971-72. I have owned 3 over the years and still have 2. Got broke and sold Big Timber #1 made for John Baird years ago. :-\ Would like to have it back.....

Dan

Offline Herb

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2020, 08:11:29 PM »
Heelerau- Yes, Gordon, that is a nice plains rifle.

Dan- I didn't know Carney made lock parts.  I think he has a Don King rifle, don't know what it is, but not a Hawken style.  Very nice rifles.
Herb

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:52 PM »
Loving those full stock Hawken/Plains rifles!  I have GOT to get me a bunch of brass tacks for this Don Stith St. Louis Rifle I am working on!

I pick up a ton of knowledge every time Herb posts stuff.  Thanks to all for the pics.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Herb

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2020, 03:24:44 AM »
iloco, that is a nice Hawken by Roger Sells.  The key heads are on the left, which most Hawkens seem to have.  The Kit Carson pictures show the heads on the right, but the keys are not pinned, and according to the report from Phil Meek and my  friend Bob Clemans, who handled this rifle recently, the Secretary (Don Helberg?) of the Masonic Lodge in Sante Fe, a treasure trove of information, said the key heads used to be on the left!  (If the keys are removed, they can be replaced from either side).

Heinz, you have a nice Hawken rifle.  It is nice to have our rifles get used, and have sons (and  daughters) and grandchildren who appreciate our work and use our rifles.  I've also given a half dozen or so of mine away.
Herb

Offline heinz

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2020, 03:58:05 AM »
Thanks Herb!
I enjoyed looking at yours also. And that trove that Taylor posted
kind regards, heinz

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 06:12:26 AM »
I have to agree I love those full stocks too!
Rob

Offline Herb

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2020, 08:36:03 AM »
Here are some more I built.
Copy of Jim Bridger .54.  A .54 Kit Carson copy (key heads on the right).  .54 don't remember.  .58 flintlock (see Muzzleloader Magazine Jul/Aug 2015, "A Diamond Mountain Mulle Deer Hunt" (Editors's spelling)).  Ron's .40 light Hawken.

Same rifles, left view.

A full sized photo of the Bridger Hawken with my lastest (and last) copy of it.  It is scaled exactly the same but looks larger because it is closer.  Just made the front sight today. Will post photos when I finish it up, only got maybe 300 hours in it so far......

Herb

Offline alacran

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2020, 10:45:31 AM »
These were my first three Hawkens.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Herb

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2020, 08:41:50 PM »
Those are prettily built rifles, nice work, alacran  You sure have color in them!  I'm enjoying these postings, keep them coming!

I looked at my photos some more and discovered that if you left click the photo, the original image comes up in imgbb.  A little magnifying glass with a + sign in it may also show, and if I left click again, it enlarges the photo.  You can see a lot more detail that way.  Below the picture it shows what camera was used.  If you click on the blue lettering "more exit data", at the bottom it shows the date the photo was taken.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:50:13 PM by Herb »
Herb