Author Topic: Making a tapered ramrod  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Jackp

• Starting Member
Making a tapered ramrod
« on: January 20, 2020, 10:02:11 AM »
I  ran across this and thought it might be useful.

Jack

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Re: Making a tapered ramrod
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:06:38 PM »
Thanks, Jack and welcome aboard.  A YouTube search on Larry Potterfield or Midway USA is  one of the most profitable things a body can do over a cup of coffee.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 03:39:48 AM »
Wow!  That video is superlative!

I have made a number of tapered ramrods, but mine normally have a tapering swell at the head, a parallel or untapered body, and then a taper at the last five or six inches to facilitate clearing the forward lock bolt.  Larry's ramrod appears to have a uniform or progressive taper over its entire length.  However, the 2x2's with sandpaper glued to them, to use as a tapering tool, is brilliant, and I can envision how it could be adapted to make the type of rod I have made.  I have a length of pine 1x6 tongue and groove lumber that I clamp in a vise with the groove up.  I lay the rod blank in that and taper it down with a block plane.  This technique has always worked for me, but if I were to make very many tapered rods, I would probably make a gadget like Mr. Potterfield used.

I don't have the equipment to make the brass end fittings.  One thing I have learned to do when installing threaded ferrules is to put some grease on a 3/8" machine screw in 8/32 or 10/32 (as appropriate) and put that in the threaded end of the ferrule before epoxying it on.  Otherwise, you can get epoxy in the female threads, which is kind of a pain to clean out.  Just don't forget to put a dab of grease on the very end of the screw!

I drill the hole for the crosspin .002" - .003" undersized, then enlarge it to the same size as the pin in the metal ferrule only.  I use a toothpick to put a little epoxy in the hole before driving in the pin.  After the epoxy is cured, I cut the pin and file it flush, but I've never found it necessary to peen the ends.  I've never had a pin come out.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat.  Mr. Potterfield's video was very informative.

Thanks!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:39 AM »
So smart. The next project on my bench is to taper a 1/2" ramrod to match an existing one. I've been chewing on a least destructive of my Carpal Tunnel way of doing it. You posted this just in time! Thanks!

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 04:26:11 AM »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline JW

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »
I see that link also has a "dowel sizing plate" which no doubt works well, though it looks very similar to a drill guage.  I just this past weekend used an old drill guage to taper a couple of 1/2" hickory rods. Not being a builder, in the past when I've needed to make a replacement tapered rod, I could never justify buying a special took for the purpose, so I've always done it slow, by hand. I tried the drill guage with the rod chucked in my drill and holy canoli was it fast. I've seen a few folks jerry rig washers or something similar, but man the drill guage is handy seeing as how it has the diameters right there on the plate!

That said, if I were making a find ebony rod or a replacement for a fine Euro fowling piece or rifle gun, I would make a jig like in the video above.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 07:10:25 PM »

I've made a dowel before using a similar process to this. Cost effective  ;D

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 02:37:51 AM »
that is a really slick and easy way to do dowels

Offline Algae