Author Topic: Berks/Reading build  (Read 2058 times)

BeanStationgunmaker

Berks/Reading build
« on: May 19, 2020, 11:13:13 PM »
Getting ready to start a build,think I may go with a Berks style.The ones I probably will be guided by are the 3 in Pennsylania longrifles of note.Has anyone based a build on the Mauger or Bonewitz rifles and have any advice?Finish isn`t apparent in black and white pics so whether blueing or browning is correct is something I`ll neer to find out.References that have better pics-is RCA volumn 1 worth the price? Trying to decide on it or Kindigs

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Berks/Reading build
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 11:24:03 PM »
Buy both books, if you like longrifles you should have both RCA books and Kindigs "Bible". plus a few more.   ;)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 11:25:35 PM »
Check out and buy the KRA discs.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 12:53:59 AM »
Berks county guns can be even more deceptive than Lehigh guns.  There are shaping details that you will never get from pictures.... especially lousy black and white pictures.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

BeanStationgunmaker

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 01:40:23 AM »
Mike, the KRA discs are on the way.Guess I will go ahead and get RCA first,then when I get a little spending money Kindig.Looks like a good bit of research is in order before I start.The TN rifle just might get done while researching.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 01:45:58 AM »
I'm surprised they still have copies.  Get one now, while you can.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/269/1/BOOK-BCLG
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 02:19:43 AM »
Here's a freebie.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/morphy/catalogue-id-morphy10000/lot-3fbce5ad-aae0-4f7e-a33a-a6fa0122a0f8

20 years ago, research was hard.  Expensive and time consuming.  Today.. well, it's still a little time consuming, not nearly as expensive, and no harder than a few mouse clicks and the right terms in a search engine.  Nobody has any excuse today.  There is SO much available on the internet now, it's amazing... you just have to look for it.   ;)

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 03:53:23 AM »
There's a Bonewitz on Michael Simen's site, I think it's Historicalarms.com. It sold so don't know how long the photos will be there.  I second or third the KRA disc for Berks rifles.  I'm in the middle of building one now, and am always looking at them for details, although I  wish they'd taken about a dozen more from different angles, seems whatever spot I wonder I'm getting correct is hard to see!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:58:50 AM by coopersdad »
Mike Westcott

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 02:36:44 PM »
Mike, the KRA discs are on the way.Guess I will go ahead and get RCA first,then when I get a little spending money Kindig.Looks like a good bit of research is in order before I start.The TN rifle just might get done while researching.
If you have the KRA discs and RCA you probably won't gain much with Kindig's book.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

BeanStationgunmaker

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 09:37:52 PM »
The KRA discs are really good,RCA got sold out from under me, so got Kindig.I appreciate all the info and special thanks to Henry Bishop for the articles.Going for a Bonewitz style.This is going to be fun since I built a shop and got better tools since my last gun.

greybeard

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 10:41:55 PM »

Hope these help a bit. Bob.  pics are reedy and figthorn .
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:48:13 PM by greybeard »

BeanStationgunmaker

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 02:37:07 AM »
Beautiful rifle for sure.All the info and help from the good folks on this site has helped a lot.Now if I can just get the time to work on this build I have a pretty clear understanding of how it should turn out