Author Topic: How about a Mule Ear Build?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Scota4570

Re: How about a Mule Ear Build?
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 05:21:15 PM »
Of course you may. 

I'll take it apart and post better photos.  I am busy with other obligations for about most of today though.  Soon?

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 06:02:08 PM »
Of course you may. 

I'll take it apart and post better photos.  I am busy with other obligations for about most of today though.  Soon?

No worries, beggars can't be choosy!! :P

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 06:29:20 PM »
I made time.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
Scota,

Thanks! Very interesting design! appreciate the help  ;)

Respect Always
Jonathan

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 07:29:46 PM »
I agree with Okabow. I have a heavy mule ear chunk gun with a 1.5” thick barrel. The nipple has a crazy long threaded section and the face of the nipple is right against the bore. Works good for the first 5 or 6 shots then I get misfires despite wiping wet then dry between shots. Like many on the shooting line I’ve started popping a primer on the cleaned bore before loading powder. Kinda rankles me though.

Is the nipple at the very bottom next to the breechplug?  Maybe fouling is covering it?  I have never has a single misfire with my little rifle shown.  I do use musket caps.  The nipple is above the breech plug.  IF you dry-ball you can not trickle powder by removing the nipple, the ball is in the way.  But, fouling does not build up enough in a day to block the fire. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2020, 08:10:36 PM »
Another "maybe" cause of the misfires could be residue from the 'wet' patch getting into the opening of the nipple.  Is that long nipple thread reaching into the bore?
I used to have a Pedersoli "Kentucky" that would always misfire right after the wet patch/dry patch operation, and many times it would take 3 or 4 caps to get the fire channel dried out enough.  I switched to both a thicker patch and mink oil lube, and then no further need to clean until I got home.  Many times before I switched, I would have to take the bolster and  nipple out, and use pipe cleaners to clean out the holes.
Darn shame, cause that .45 was extremely accurate, often making a small clover-leaf in the X-ring at 100 yards, prone position.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2020, 01:58:25 AM »
 Scota4570,

Do you have to manually flip the safety lever down to fire, or does it have a spring and flip back as you full cock?

Nice looking rifle and like the safety!
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2020, 02:45:56 AM »
On mine the nipple is flush with the inside of the bore and centered about half an inch in front of the breechplug. I agree it could be the wet patch is clogging it so guess I will go “just damp” next time. It sure is frustrating trying to shoot for score and getting misfires.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2020, 03:00:28 AM »
Scota4570,

Do you have to manually flip the safety lever down to fire, or does it have a spring and flip back as you full cock?

The little bar held down by the screw is a spring that bears on the safety cam.  The cam has a detent for off and on.  It take deliberate effort to engage or disengage the safety.  I operates silently but you can feel the detents.   It does not move on or off by itself.  The operation of it is smooth but tight. 

Offline BruceH

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2020, 03:08:34 AM »
On mine the nipple is flush with the inside of the bore and centered about half an inch in front of the breechplug. I agree it could be the wet patch is clogging it so guess I will go “just damp” next time. It sure is frustrating trying to shoot for score and getting misfires.

Rich, that is one problem I never have with a Mule Ear.  Now I do use a nipple pick out of cautious habit each time after I load.  I also use Magnum primers for no reason other than they are supposedly hotter.  All my nipples are as close to the breech plug face as I can get them.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2020, 04:41:56 AM »
Scota4570,

The little bar held down by the screw is a spring that bears on the safety cam.  The cam has a detent for off and on.  It take deliberate effort to engage or disengage the safety.  I operates silently but you can feel the detents.   It does not move on or off by itself.  The operation of it is smooth but tight.

Thanks!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2020, 06:24:16 AM »

Rich, that is one problem I never have with a Mule Ear.  Now I do use a nipple pick out of cautious habit each time after I load.  I also use Magnum primers for no reason other than they are supposedly hotter.  All my nipples are as close to the breech plug face as I can get them.

I gotta find it make a nipple pick I guess or get magnum primers or both. Thanks for the advice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2020, 04:59:56 PM »

Made this out of an old spoon, have one with a flat screw driver. You could also have one with a pick.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2020, 06:41:48 PM »

Or use a load that does not require swabbing out the bore. It would take very little 'junk' to block the nipple's flash hole.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V