Author Topic: Bogle rifle patch box  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Tim Ault

Bogle rifle patch box
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:05:32 PM »
I've always liked the looks of this rifle
   https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=11592.0

And am considering making something along its lines and features . I have noticed something in the pictures of the patch box along the edges especially noticeable along the bottom  it appears to be some sort of design like file work or stamped lines ? Is this indeed the case or is it just the way the camera and my eyes percieves it ? . Also is the  iron trigger guard on this rifle cast or forged?

Thanks , Tim

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Bogle rifle patch box
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:32:39 PM »
Tim:  the patch box is absolutely plain...no engraving or filing.  The second last picture in that set shows it nicely.  What you are seeing in the first image is some camera pixilation or the like.  Being a historic rifle (antique) the guard will have been forged, not cast.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline little joe

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 08:49:23 PM »
I like it also. Google (Robin Hale Tennessee Rifles) if you have not, it will educate you on Tn. rifles

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 12:04:05 AM »
My best friend Joe Bogle, 5th great grandson of the original Joseph bogle has gotten really good at making these patchboxes, I asked him at the Alabama Kentucky longrifle show how many Bogle rifles he had made to date, I am pretty sure the answer was 6.  He forged all the mounts for these rifles.

Here is the first one he made.

Joe with his grandad's original;

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:09:22 AM »
Very cool thanks for sharing that . Yes I looked again at the pictures and the one I somehow missed shows a much better picture of the patch box 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:44:20 PM by Tim Ault »

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »
I had seen that picture in the past and thought the same thing, lol. But what if you were to make one that did have a border engraved.......🤔

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 05:38:35 PM »
I don't mean to change the subject but,  there has always been a debate of what the patch box was used for.  Here is one antique rifle that has shooting patches in the box.  Just an observation!

David Price

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »
I had seen that picture in the past and thought the same thing, lol. But what if you were to make one that did have a border engraved.......🤔

Interesting thought  , would be easy enough to do file or a light chisel strike . I had some free time at work this morning laid out that patch box in auto cad and cut a few out on the water jet real quick yeah cheating big time I know .  Have no idea the width of the original is but this one I made up real quick is 1.5"  on the door and 1.75" on the final it was a lot easier to dome than I thought it would be took all of about 5 minutes a piece of pine and a small ball peen hammer

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:14:31 PM by Tim Ault »