Author Topic: Bag for a Horn?  (Read 2069 times)

RoaringBull

Bag for a Horn?
« on: January 22, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
I received this little horn for Christmas from a great friend. Now I want to build a bag and all the accessories to go along with it. The bag build I can handle but may need help on the rest. But first things first, I need ideas for what the bag needs to look like, coming from Western North Carolina area. Hopefully there will be a nice rifle in the future to go along with all of this.

Offline Marcruger

Re: Bag for a Horn?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 01:38:55 AM »
Hello Spotted Bull,

I would suggest you check Jim Webb's book on hunting pouches.  Jim has owned 200+ original bags and knows as much about them as anyone alive.  Some great drawings in there to work from. 

By the way, I would not call that horn a western North Carolina horn.  I'd call it a Piedmont banded horn, as these were found in VA, SC, GA and NC.  I don't normally associate the banded ones with the mountain types.  Great looking horn though. Who made it? 

My advice on a bag would be something pretty simple.  That way it frames the horn without competing with it.  This plain bag was done for Jim Parker's show, and no one would quibble over it matching your horn.  If you make something elaborate, you paint yourself more in a "corner".

Just my 2 cents worth.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:46:20 PM »
 ;) ;)... I would agree with Marc on the Piedmont association of the horn,... However,... many settlers moved west and carried their gear with them, so there are some banded horns found in these mountains,... I have seen some in this area,...{I'm in Henderson Co. NC) and know well of one original that is associated with a family that moved from Swain Co. to Blount Co. TN in the 1830's,... the bag should be simple, plain and of bark-tan deer or cowhide,... some used other leather, too (coon, groundhog, bear), but mainly  plain bags,... 

v festival images

RoaringBull

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 12:28:53 AM »
Would a small plain double bag work, CCF?

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 05:54:34 PM »
 :) :)... I have never seen a double pouch associated with these Southern mountains,.. there may be some, but I haven't seen them,.. these fellows didn't need to carry much in their bag,... some of the earlier "longhunters" coming in from up-East might have had them prior to 1800, but after settlement time, no need to carry a lot for a short hunt or bear run,.... CCF

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »
 Dana,
  What is that in the center of the second Pic, looks like a holster of sorts.

Thanks, Tim

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 06:05:40 PM »
I think that’s an old stiff cows knee Tim. Lock cover.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 06:31:11 PM »
I too suggest the Jim Webb book. It will give you many ideas. That is a nice little horn.

Steve
Steve Skillman

RoaringBull

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 09:13:50 PM »
Yes I use Jim's book for reference in making bags all the time.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 03:51:06 PM »
Tim, that holster looking do hickey is a cow's knee.  That whole grouping was on display at the smokey mountain heritage center along with the southern rifles in 2018.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Mick C

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 09:52:13 PM »
Here's a picture of a dandy little "bearded" bag that I bought from T. C. Albert several years ago.  I think something of this ilk would be just the thing for that wonderful little horn.   Just my humble opinion.  But whatever you do, be sure to show it to us.....Mick

My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

RoaringBull

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:01:49 PM »
I've been working on a few other requested bags and making up my mind on this one. But I will definitely post photos when I make it.

Thanks a huge amount for all of the input. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions further along in the process of getting the collection together.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 04:46:13 AM »
Gee Mick, you set the bar up there.  I've made a bearded bag, and it wasn't a walk in the park.  Carpal tunnel likes to creep in.   I think there was a pretty good reason that they were not common back in the day....a lot of work for a purely aesthetic reason.  ;-)  If Bull wants to go for it, my best wishes to him.  God Bless,   Marc

RoaringBull

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 06:37:42 AM »
I've been wanting to make one for awhile, but then again I know it'll be a lot of work.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 12:03:44 AM »
Gee Mick, you set the bar up there.  I've made a bearded bag, and it wasn't a walk in the park.  Carpal tunnel likes to creep in.   I think there was a pretty good reason that they were not common back in the day....a lot of work for a purely aesthetic reason.  ;-)  If Bull wants to go for it, my best wishes to him.  God Bless,   Marc

Marc, I can only imagine how long and the shear amount of work that went into this bag.  But it does go so well with a nice southern rifle. I feel very fortunate to have acquired it from Mr. Albert and to be the current caretaker.....Mick   
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 04:36:57 AM »
My bearded bag is similar but different to T.C.'s.  Two takes on a neat original concept. 

Mick, owning any of T.C.'s work must be a joy.  He is a super craftsman.  I'll keep trying on my end.

God Bless,   Marc

RoaringBull

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 09:09:32 AM »
Quick question on the bearded bags...the actual fringed pieces are sewn to the flap correct? Is the flap the full length of the bag? Is there a layer of fringe on the body of the bag?

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 12:15:58 PM »
The beard is done in strips that look like a comb, with a bar at the top and the fringe being the teeth on the comb. The bar is sewn to the full length flap. Several rows of these strips are sewn on overlapping. The bag body on mine has a fringed welt all the way around, but none on the front. I hope this helps. God bless, Marc  Ps - do a word search for Bag 14 Bearded and you can see more details.