Author Topic: Gear Update!  (Read 1446 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Gear Update!
« on: February 02, 2020, 08:17:40 PM »
Guys a while back I posted the shooting gear for my new Ohio-style caplock rifle. Well, the gear has changed since then and after actually using the setup in the field, some things are different. Here it is now, gang:

I added a new tinned powder measure to the bag by means of a braided hemp lanyard. MSellers of this board made me one to fit my gun and it is beautiful. The bag itself was made by TC Albert and is superb. Next I took the ball bag out of the pouch and it now lives on a separate leather thong and Inwear it around the body on the left side. It’s just a great setup and frees up a lot of room in the shooting bag and makes retrieval of a ball a snap in the field.

Next I decided to exchange my homemade starter for a commercial one, but had to shorten the shaft by a few inches so it would tuck smartly into the pouch. The homemade starter I made just wasn’t working out. I made the handle of soft pretty soft hardwood and it deformed upon loading the ball and was not doing well. While this “gear shifter” style starter probably isn’t the most historical design, I do know for a fact short starters were used in the late caplock era which my gun inhabits and this particular style has served me very well over the years and has proven to be very durable and effective for the task at hand.

Next, I got a reproduction stamped lid Eley cap tin off the internet and it’s quite nice. You can see it filled with patch lubricant. I have seen original antique used cap tins so filled with waxes and greases. Things were re-used often back in those days, they didn’t live in the throw away society we have now. I need to japan the outside of the tin as that’s how the originals were and am working on getting a good jappaning recipe.

Overall gang it’s just fine tuning and a bit has changed since my last postings so I figured you all might be interested. I’ve put a lot of research into this and have tried to put an emphasis on period accuracy. Very happy with this rig and if anything else changes, I’ll let you all know right away as I’m sure your just DYING to hear more posts from ‘ol Smokey! :)

-Smokey

Offline Daryl

Re: Gear Update!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 09:15:29 PM »
Looks good, smokey. I have small leather draw-string bags for the accouterments- the jags, ball screws, nipple wrenches, that sort of thing so
they are not loose in the possibles bag. The caps are in a metal capper (track) or in a circular hard leather 'capper' that holds 24 or so.
this is track's page on cappers.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1207/1
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 09:18:16 PM »
Nice Smokey. I like to toss my tins in the fire. That ages them really nice. Looking good.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 09:39:44 PM »
Thanks guys! There is a small pocket in the pouch that holds the tow, cleaning jags, and nipple prick.

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 01:51:44 AM »
That is a swell set up you have there. I really like your rifle; what can you tell us about that. I know you said Ohio but I would like a few details if you could please.  Thanks  JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 03:34:03 AM »
That is a swell set up you have there. I really like your rifle; what can you tell us about that. I know you said Ohio but I would like a few details if you could please.  Thanks  JZ

It was made by Mike Compton and is of caliber .40, weight is but 6 1/2 lbs and balances a peach! It’s been a great rifle so far. I ordered it from Track in new unfired condition a few months ago.

Offline msellers

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 07:36:03 AM »
You are most welcome on the measure,  looks right at home there. If you don't have a fire to throw the tin in, a propane torch or grill tirned up high works great too. Gives a nice blue grey black finish to the tins. Just let them cool naturally, hit with a quick steel wool to remove any scale. Then I use the same steel wool with some cold  bluing to add a little more patina to them, if I am so inclined.
Mike

Offline Mick C

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 12:08:42 AM »
Super nice group of gear.  Thanks for sharing...Mick
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »
You are most welcome on the measure,  looks right at home there. If you don't have a fire to throw the tin in, a propane torch or grill tirned up high works great too. Gives a nice blue grey black finish to the tins. Just let them cool naturally, hit with a quick steel wool to remove any scale. Then I use the same steel wool with some cold  bluing to add a little more patina to them, if I am so inclined.
Mike

Thank you! I’ll have to try that.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 09:08:01 AM »
Super nice group of gear.  Thanks for sharing...Mick

Thanks Mick! :)