Author Topic: Open Top Bags  (Read 1043 times)

RoaringBull

Open Top Bags
« on: February 04, 2020, 07:43:58 AM »
Seeing the great collection for sale in the classified section has made me wonder about the open top coverlet bags. What is the primary area and time frame when those bags were used?

Offline art riser

Re: Open Top Bags
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
I have not seen any evidence that they ever existed. I have seen one bag that was supposed to be from the Civil War, but without any real proof. It had a flap and very short straps. Supposedly carried under the uniform jacket with personal items. We have made a number of pouches over the years, but all but one had flaps.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:31:14 PM by art riser »

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 06:14:00 PM »
Open top bags have been around forever, probably. A number of those mid-18th century Indian bags have open tops, and there is an open-topped bag in made, IIRC, from a Civil War waterproofed coat in Jim Webb's book on Southern Appalachian bags and horns.

Cloth bags were used by whites in the Revolutionary period as as well, though the design is unknown: https://ofsortsforprovincials.blogspot.com/2011/03/making-shot-bag-or-pouch-part-1-of-2.html

Dunno about the use of coverlets as bags, though. I'd be quite interested to know of an original, or what "plush" meant in 1775....
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline art riser

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »
I was replying to the question about open top overshot coverlet bags not open top bags in general.

Though, popular in many states during the early to mid 19th centuries, the extensive development of overshot weaving as a form of design and expression was fostered in rural southern Appalachia. It remained a staple of hand-weavers in the region until the early 20th century. In New England, around 1875, the invention of the Jacquard loom, the success of chemical dyes and the evolution of creating milled yarns, changed the look of coverlets entirely.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:30:22 PM by art riser »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 06:34:53 PM »
I have heard it said that the open top variety the OP speaks of is of southern mountian origin and I have seen a couple of cloth examples that most likely were of that area. My best guess is they were circa 1900.
As far as the coverlets go...I really dont know but I can imagine the wife making her a purse out of it long before making her husband a rifle bag : ) I would be interested in any existing ones with some date association as I have wondered about it as well.  I would think it is more a current fad in contemporary circles than historical prevalence which is a common occurrence.

Elnathon, Plush in the period is a wool velvet
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:42:13 PM by James Rogers »

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 07:20:02 PM »
I’ve only seen one open top pouch in person and it was leather. I am certain it never had a flap and was made as an open top pouch. I have photos of another pouch that looks like it may be an open top, and it appears to be made out of thin leather with a fabric lining. I can’t tell for sure without physically examining it if it simply lost its flap over time but it looks like it may have always lacked a flap. It’s tiny.

But they are cool and practical, and their design lends itself to interesting shapes. And scraps of coverlet are a beautiful medium to work in so guess I’ll keep doin’ it.