Author Topic: Big old horn  (Read 1347 times)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Big old horn
« on: January 23, 2020, 03:33:27 AM »
Picked up this very large horn. Obviously the little eye hook in the base plug is a recent addition. I’m guessing it was a supply horn.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Big old horn
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 05:07:05 PM »
 Neat old horn. Rather than a Supply horn it could be a Long Hunters horn. One reason I saw this is because the tip is carved for a strap and the butt has a hole in it where a finial of some sort would have fit. I would think a Supply horn would have been carried on a horse or pack  animal in a bag. I think larger horns like it are earlier where more powder was need for longer trips when there was no place to get more. MTCW

Tim 

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 05:52:42 PM »
Nice find, Rich!  Like Tim, I think it probably had a staple in the butt at one time. If you look just to the left of the brass eyelet, there’s a dimple that could be for the other point of the staple...kinda looks like the holes may have been filled with something long ago. At any rate, it’s a nice addition to your collection! 

Winter is too long, our flea markets won’t open until April. I need to load up the wife and go antiquing...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
Cool old horn. Nice find.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »
Greg, good eyes! I am inclined to think it may have had a staple there. Now, whether to restore and whether to hang or use is the question. The tiny wire nails rusted through and the plug fell out the other night when I was showing it to some fellas. The inside was hollowed out. Pretty sure this was one of those self-made horns with a whittled, not turned, plug.

I can see powder residue, sparkly graphite on the inside. I guess that’s our kind of glitter!
Andover, Vermont

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 06:45:59 PM »
Neat horn. The set of initials may indicate a
Long hunters horn as well.
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 07:34:22 PM »
Nice find, Rich!  Like Tim, I think it probably had a staple in the butt at one time. If you look just to the left of the brass eyelet, there’s a dimple that could be for the other point of the staple...kinda looks like the holes may have been filled with something long ago. At any rate, it’s a nice addition to your collection! 

Winter is too long, our flea markets won’t open until April. I need to load up the wife and go antiquing...

Greg

Yeah, it looks like the original holes for a staple where filled and the eyelet added to me.  Obvious there was another hole to me.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
 I thought from this Pic there was a hole in the Butt, that's why I was thinking finial.

Offline Karl K.

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 08:52:14 PM »
Rich, that thumb looks like it took a whack!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 09:13:52 PM »
Rich, that thumb looks like it took a whack!

Think that was while  knapping a particularly tough piece of chert.

I generally have a blood blister somewhere.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »
Someone asked about grain orientation of plugs not too long ago.  Pretty clear to see here. 

I'd be tempted to re-install a staple if it were mine.
Hold to the Wind