Author Topic: Thomas Earle fowler(more pictures added)  (Read 7485 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Thomas Earle fowler(more pictures added)
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
A Thomas Earle fowler has surfaced in Maine and Paul Daiute took some pictures of it.  I am asking for better buttstock pictures and the underside,  rear of buttplate, wrist/lock/fore-end shots.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:14:28 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Online JTR

• member 2
Re: Thomas Earle fowler
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:14:48 AM »
Wow! What a nice find!
Congratulations to whoever got it.
Thanks for posting the pictures over here Rich.
John
John Robbins

timM

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53:06 AM »
Rich,.......Thank you for making the effort to get these photo's posted, what a pleasure to see.  An 18th century untouched "out of the attic" fowler  is a treat.  I would be curious to know bore diameter and barrel length,.... 50"+ barrel?
tim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »
Getting more info and pictures

More pictures

Andover, Vermont

jim m

Re: Thomas Earle fowler(more pictures added)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 06:23:02 PM »
thanks for posting Rich. way cool. please forgive my ignorance but what area did Earl ply his craft

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »
Very nice! Slender lady!!  I like the nice Frenchy curve in the lower buttstock. Lock molding is slender and nice and I really like the Jaeger style carving around the trigger guard.

Here is a picture perhaps of her in 1784??? 
http://www.worcesterart.org/Collection/Early_American/Artists/earl_r/Man_with_Gun/painting.html

The painter was apparently the cousin of the gunsmith (Thomas Earle) who is in this painting halfway down the page sitting in front of a window that frames his house and gunsmith shop

http://www.worcesterart.org/Collection/Early_American/Artists/earl_r/Denny_Hill/discussion.html

Cherry Valley is just west of Worcester....not that far from where Ralph Earl the painter lived..........Grinslade mentions this painting in his book on Fowlers and the gun certainly looks like the NE 13, 30 and 31 in his book.

Pretty good gun eh???

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:51:48 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 08:53:57 PM »
I have a contemporary piece made for me by David Dodds, replicated from NE 20 in Tom Grinslade's Book, that has the same profile and other characteristics as this Thomas Earl fowler. Sure wish I knew how to post photos on the Board!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:49:45 AM »
Thanks for the great pics Rich and Paul!
I wondered if he was kin to Ralph Earl.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 07:44:30 AM »
I have a contemporary piece made for me by David Dodds, replicated from NE 20 in Tom Grinslade's Book, that has the same profile and other characteristics as this Thomas Earl fowler. Sure wish I knew how to post photos on the Board!

Here is Woodsrunner's beautiful NE Fowler!!

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 02:54:54 AM »
Some years ago, Faye Parker wrote a finely researched article in 'Man at Arms' magazine on Thomas Earle and some photos of Earle guns (including a grand NE rifle) accompanied the article. If you can fine it you will get a lot of information about Earle and his times.
Dick

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »
That is just a superb piece and thas the most French influence of the few Earle pieces I have seen. 

I think the first flint fowler that I ever saw in pictures was the one of his in the Kaufmann book and I have always loved the look of that gun.

He sure was capable of a wide range of styles and work and one of the great American gunsmiths of his times. 

Guy