Author Topic: Crowning vs coning  (Read 5295 times)

Offline snapper

Re: Crowning vs coning
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2020, 01:26:28 AM »
My predictions are that we will see no difference in accuracy between coning not coning.   Assuming that both muzzles are  done properly.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2020, 01:26:44 AM »

... I wonder if Amazon carries the old 5’x20’ rolling chalkboards.... This can easily get out of hand.

Why buy new? Takes 2 dollars to bid on this one: 
https://ebid.nashville.gov/AuctionDetail.aspx?auid=120787
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2020, 01:33:50 AM »
My predictions are that we will see no difference in accuracy between coning not coning.   Assuming that both muzzles are  done properly.

Fleener

I'll agree, if the combination is the same, and in the same bore.  The increased friction on loading as Daryl and Leatherbelly experienced with a cone on LB's gun would probably have other guys changing to a slightly less snug fit. 

AFIK no one goes to a looser combo to help his group sizes (assuming he can start the tighter combo without distorting the ball).

Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 11:03:13 PM »
I hear of distortion of the ball when loading tight combinations. I suspect that would happen, if the rod tip and starter tips are flat. Mine are not flat,
but cupped and there is no distortion of the ball when I load it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 01:47:37 AM »

Fleener

You have a good point.  I see coning devices that use a cone shape mandrill wrapped sand paper and run in an electric drill.  There is not way to get that straight except by luck.   If it were done in a lathe, the bore set up to run dead true, and boring bar used, it would work out more consistently.

What is a cone?  I do all crowing in a lathe.  I use a sickle shaped tool to make a french curve shape crown.  The deepest part is only a few degrees off parallel, then the curve increases to make radius at the muzzle.  No part is much larger than the bore diameter.  Only large enough to make a ball and patch center easily.  It looks a lot like some of the sandpaper thumb jobs I see.  The whole contour happens in less than 1/8" depth.  Is that a cone? 

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 02:35:13 AM »

Fleener

You have a good point.  I see coning devices that use a cone shape mandrill wrapped sand paper and run in an electric drill.  There is not way to get that straight except by luck.   If it were done in a lathe, the bore set up to run dead true, and boring bar used, it would work out more consistently.

What is a cone?  I do all crowing in a lathe.  I use a sickle shaped tool to make a french curve shape crown.  The deepest part is only a few degrees off parallel, then the curve increases to make radius at the muzzle.  No part is much larger than the bore diameter.  Only large enough to make a ball and patch center easily.  It looks a lot like some of the sandpaper thumb jobs I see.  The whole contour happens in less than 1/8" depth.  Is that a cone?

Except they have bore sized pilots.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:52:29 PM by Clark Badgett »
Psalms 144

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »
IF the crowning/coning is uniform I would think the coning or "funneling" would be a bit
easier to reload and that can be helpful in a hunting environment. The tight ball/patch
combo could still be used in a competition where speed of reloading is not a factor.
Back in the days when I did a lot of shooting,the first thing after the first shot that I
looked for was a UNIFORM star pattern on the muzzle.I would polish the muzzle and
have a clean area to study after the first shot.If the pattern was not uniform the a recrown
was next.
Bob Roller

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 03:03:59 PM »
Great suggestion Bob.

Offline alacran

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 03:57:33 PM »
This is another case of a solution looking for a problem.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
I haven't coned per se, however,  I have filed angled grooves into the lands of my .54 barrel . I used a small round file, and was careful to keep the angle and depth even. This treatment allows for the patched ball to enter the bore much more easily . Accuracy is still very good.

Offline hudson

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 05:49:42 AM »
Coning is one of those things that will probably never be resolved here. For me I load tight and a proper cone cut on a lathe and a bit of choke has not hurt accuracy and made loading almost a pleasure. When putting a cone in a barrel plugs are turned out of brasses that are a light tap fit in the ends of barrel. The barrel is then dialed in on the plugs both ends of the barrel. A small boring bar is used to cut the cone then polished.

Offline shifty

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »
   You folks are making this coning process way to complicated if you use a Joe Woods or similar tool and do it by hand as the directions say to do you will get a good  accurate and easy to load muzzle.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 12:03:06 AM »

I would call that most certainly a radiused crown. As far as I am concerned, a cone is a gradual tightened bore.
 I tried the cone and went back to crowns as I lost accuracy with a coned surface, as noted.
Speculation is great - you can speculate anything - but actually doing it and testing was my method.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V