Author Topic: The Tattoo Gun  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Stoner creek

The Tattoo Gun
« on: January 24, 2020, 03:40:25 AM »
 This of you who know me know that I like a little change of pace every once in awhile. The idea came to me: What if a customer back in the day wanted a decorated gun but didn’t have the funds?
This rifle has Bucks Co. inspiration if only in its profile and some of it’s hardware. I wanted to build a Bucks Co gun but there were many things that prohibit with this set of parts. Firstly the stock was soft REALLY SOFT, way too soft for me to attempt to carve, secondly the stock was already inlet for a 13/16” barrel. Off I went into fantasy land.
 My idea was to draw in pen and ink everywhere the stock would have been relief or incised carved. I’m lucky enough to have a really talented daughter who loves this longrifle thing so I gave her RCA Volume I and directed her to the chapter on Bucks Co. then wisely gave her full creative control.
 The end result came out better than I expected. Best of all, in my eyes the artwork looks plausible.
 Take a look. Let it soak in. I ain’t crazy!!
 I wanted to come up with a name for it and hit the wall. My buddy Keith Vance took one quick glance and called it That Tattoo Gun.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:45:50 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: The Tattoo Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 04:17:33 AM »
The inking looks great. The technique reminds me of some Carolina trade guns with vine painted or inked on.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:23:02 AM »
Seeing this gun at Jim’s show really made me happy. In person it really messes with your head. It’s hard to tell, when you don’t know what it is your looking at, what it is you’re seeing. Super super work by your daughter Wayne and a great job on the build. Between this one and the Bean right across from your table I left in a good mood. Painted guns are so much fun.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 04:24:27 AM »
Interesting Wayne, maybe a little Jezebel in there? I was thinking about this style of decoration last week. Maybe we talked about it at the AL-KY Rifle show and I'm just now remembering after that 18 year old bottled gunsmith lubricant and cleaner!

Keep 'em coming,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline ScottH

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 06:14:50 AM »
Edgy!!!
I like it.
 8)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:08:59 AM »
 :o :o :o... Wow,... thanx for posting, Wayne,... when I first saw this in person at the show,... it looked like incised carving that had filled in and darkened over the years,... I'm really impressed with that technique,... She really looks better in person,.. the photos do not bring out the true depth and look of the craftsmanship,... thanx again,... see you soon,... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,....   

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 07:35:00 AM »
There is no middle ground on a rifle like this. You either love it or hate it. The 'ol "Muskrat" would be proud to carry this fine rifle anywhere.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 08:07:55 AM »
That’s a precious family treasure right there.  There’s not many Dad and daughter combos.  The hardest part of laying out a design to carve for me  is freehanding it on the rifle and making it all flow.  She has natural talent at it.  Beautiful piece of artwork Stoner!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 02:25:46 PM »
 One foot out of the box, I Love it. looks like very fine incise. Well designed and done.

Tim

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 04:22:19 PM »
Very cool !!! I like it alot!!!!

Mitch

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 06:45:27 PM »
   Wow Wayne... Very impressed ..! CCF told me about this gun yesterday an glad you posted pictures of it...!
You an your daughter did an amazing job together. First your gun build is excellent. Which goes hand in hand with her art work. Plus the finish is the perfect combo to set the art work off.
Hope you bring it to the Knoxville show...!!
    Oldtravler

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
Wayne, it looks even better than the “sneak preview”...I sure hope you’re bringing it to Boonesboro tomorrow!  See ya there, buddy!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
I really like what you did with this.  It's beautiful.  Surprising we've not seen an original inked like this.  Great idea.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »
I really like what you did with this.  It's beautiful.  Surprising we've not seen an original inked like this.  Great idea.

If I remember right Wayne mentioned an original he had seen when he showed me this rifle at the show.

Offline johngross

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 10:41:38 PM »
My idea was to draw in pen and ink everywhere the stock would have been relief or incised carved.

When I read this I was saying to myself, this guy (and his daughter) are nutz! But seeing the pictures, WOW, I like it a lot.  :)

But I do hope she used the right pen.  ;)

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 10:46:52 PM »
Really like the look of this rifle. You do have a very talented daughter indeed!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 10:53:53 PM »
First thing thru my head was the Stones album,Tattoo you.......then almost envisioning their trademark tongue behind the tang,kinda even looks like it could head in that direction.Very nice

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 11:00:41 PM »
I especially like the lack of symmetry around the tang.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 02:03:46 AM »
Needs some red paint. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 02:49:10 AM »
I love it, Wayne. You both did a great job. Very impressive.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 03:20:40 AM »
I am normally one that doesn't care for "outside the box" on longrifles.  The Pratt built and Gahagan decorated doglock at the 2019 CLA excepted of course.  With that said, this is one cool longrifle.  The rifle has great lines to start with.  The decoration is just wonderful.  Just enough whimsy to make a person smile, but enough strong skill to carry the art aspect.  I am thinking you need to team up some more. 

What is one the ink to protect it?   

Love it brother!   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 04:28:05 AM »
I am normally one that doesn't care for "outside the box" on longrifles.  The Pratt built and Gahagan decorated doglock at the 2019 CLA excepted of course.  With that said, this is one cool longrifle.  The rifle has great lines to start with.  The decoration is just wonderful.  Just enough whimsy to make a person smile, but enough strong skill to carry the art aspect.  I am thinking you need to team up some more. 

What is one the ink to protect it?   

Love it brother!   God Bless,   Marc
Firstly, Thank you for your kind words!
I put the stain on and only one coat of tung oil. Then I let it dry for two weeks and then let Clary my daughter do her thing. After all that I applied light coats of Homer Formbys tung oil finish.  I was scared to death that the solvents in the finish would distort her pen and ink work. Seeing none I applied 5-6 over coats to seal it all. Hopefully her ink work won't fade out through time and exposure to light.
I couldn't be happier with all phases of this little adventure.  What's next? Who knows. Stay tuned!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
I cannot think up a better plan than that to protect the art.  Good move.

Now, get her some paint, a fine brush and a powder horn.  Carla Crosby sure does some beauties. 

God bless, Marc

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »
Wayne..., that is really cool!  Do you know what type of pen your daughter used for the drawing?  I’m in agreement with Marc relative to “outside the box”, but to me, this came out nicely.  Rich has a good point as well, it is similar to the painted on vines and leaves found on some trade guns.  Thanks for posting!  Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline redheart

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 09:53:25 PM »
Delightful, tasteful artwork! :)