Author Topic: Lock Plate Forging by Clint Wright Part 1  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Lock Plate Forging by Clint Wright Part 1
« on: February 13, 2020, 06:55:26 PM »
The URL below will open a .pdf file that was created by Clint Wright. It is part 1 of a series on how to forge a flintl lock
http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/lock_plate_forging_2020.pdf I am by no stretch a black smith but I found this article most informative. If I were 20 or even 10 years younger I would try to see if I could master forging a lock. Alas at this point in my life  I don't have the time or energy to tackle it. I hope you younger guys will see if you can forge a lock!

I am going to let Clint take over from here.
Dennis
ps If you have problems opening the .pdf file you may need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded for free at this site https://get.adobe.com/reader/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:27:20 PM by Tim Crosby »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Lock Plate Forging by Clint Wright Part 1
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:07:50 PM »
Terrific
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »
Yes- intriguing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »
I forged two flintlocks. once when I was about 24 or 25 years old and once when I was about 60. that cured my desire for ever.  I figure a hand forged lock is worth about $2000.00 to $3000.00
  It will make you appreciate the cost of modern locks.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 01:36:58 AM »
Very nice tutorial. I want to get better at forge welding, and this tutorial has some good tips.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Clint

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 05:40:54 AM »
The pages about lock making are intended to become an open source document. I would invite anyone who has
  successfully made some locks to share their techniques. Also anyone who would like to make a lock, who has specific questions should feel welcome. I am working on 'chapter two' which is about forging flint cocks and is a lot more fun. It' also quite a bit easier than lock plates. 

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 05:58:23 AM »
Thank you for sharing your knowledge Clint. I hope to make one some day.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 03:25:29 PM »
That is a superb tutorial, Clint. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

I have a three-hour video on forging an English-style lock that I picked up at the Cumberland Show a couple years back - I'm blanking on the name of the smith - that has a slightly different method of forging a lockplate with an integral pan, if my memory serves me correctly. I believe he just started out with a very thick piece of iron and thinned it out, with no welding for either the pan or the bolster. I think your way is a little more manageable.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 03:42:05 PM »
This is not about hand forged locks but this morning I had an inquiry from Leon Cochran
whose father,Willie made Shoults style Ketland locks for years.Leon needs to know if
anyone knows who has the moulds used to produce this little lock. I may have that info
but am not sure so any help at all will be much appreciated.He wants to restart the lock
business.
Bob Roller