Author Topic: What would you do with this rusty bore?  (Read 6798 times)

OFFSHORE

What would you do with this rusty bore?
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:05:52 AM »

I rescued this .50 Hawken CVA kit rifle from a South Florida garage. Pretty rusty down that bore.

Can it be salvaged?

Birddog6

Re: What would you do with this rusty bore?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 01:15:38 PM »
Take some scotchbrite on a 45 cal jag & some penetrating oil & scrub the heck out of it. 

DEADDAWG

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
Offshore,
I work on one like this a few years back that a friend picked up at a garage sale, .50 CVA Mountain Rifle USA barrel. I plugged the nipple and filled the barrel with PB Blaster and let it sit for a couple days to let the penetrating oil work it's way under the rust. Drained the barrel and ran some patches to remove the majority of the crud out of it. Then, like Birddog said, scrub the bore with scotchbrite with PB Blaster. Get the good green scotchbrite by 3M, not the cheap stuff. I use a worn .50 button jag and compress the scotchbrite and get it real flexable, 1 to 1 1/4 inch scotchbrite patch seems to work pretty good for me. About 20 or so strokes, changing the scotchbrite often, plenty of PB Blaster. Repeat the process with 0000 steel wool. The last thing I did is polish the bore with a tight pillow tick patch and Brasso, about 100 strokes, changing patches often. Then clean it. Luckily, there wasn't any pitting to speak of. With your salt air conditions, you might not be as lucky. This one ended up being an absolute tack driver; 10 shots, ragged 1 inch hole off the bench using .490 ball, .018 pillow tick patch, spit lube over 60 grains of FFFg Goex. If your barrel is lightly pitted, still go shoot it. Some barrels, even lightly pitted, shoot very well.

Rick

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »

I rescued this .50 Hawken CVA kit rifle from a South Florida garage. Pretty rusty down that bore.

Can it be salvaged?

If it has any significant pitting it will foul excessively with BP.
If its been shot with one of the corrosive "BP replacement" powders its surely pitted.
If you can get the rust out and see no pits it might be salvagable by lapping.
But since its a contemporary barrel cheaper to buy another barrel than to do a bunch of work on it and find it fouls excessively.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rick landes

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:01 PM »
Take some scotchbrite on a 45 cal jag & some penetrating oil & scrub the heck out of it. 

Mr. Dog's right on again. I would warm the barrel a bit (120 F ish) use Kroil and sop up the barrel and let it set over night. Then go after it as noted above.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

doug

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »
     You guys obviously do not shoot original guns.  Just run a piece of scotchbrite pad down the barrel a few times to get rid of the roughness and then shoot it.  Light pitting will mean more work cleaning and I would strongly suggest with a bronze brush not a jag, but will probably not affect the accuracy.  One of my more accurate rifles had no deep pits but noticeable amounts of loose rust powder poured out of the barrel when I ran a bronze brush down the barrel when I first received it.

cheers Doug

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:26:12 PM »
If it hasn't been shot it will probably clean up pretty good with some scotch bright with WD40 on it.  If it's been shot and left dirty, You are in for trouble. Even changing churches won't help for negligence.
    PS--- It also depends on what your definition of accuracy is.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

OFFSHORE

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 04:20:06 AM »
OK, I have the barrel upright in the vice with the nipple plugged. It is filled with PB Blaster and I will commence my attack it this weekend.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:20:05 AM »
<snip>
    PS--- It also depends on what your definition of accuracy is.

Yes there is that too ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

hyltoto

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 05:11:04 PM »
I've had good luck with cleaning with a good detergent, the running patches coared with "Naval Jelly" in the bore. This converts the rust to something else. Then I used steel wool on a ram rod to clean er out. The I did the kroil.

OFFSHORE

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 07:33:37 AM »
My only concern is the breach area. The plug won't come out easily as I learned in another thread so I will leave it alone. The rest of the barrel will come cleaner than the breach because either the patch or bore brush will bottom out and it just won't get the good cleaning action of the back and forth motion in the deflagration area.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »
Have you got a breech plug scraper tip for your ramrod? Put the Scotch Brite on it and twist back & forth.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming