Author Topic: Antique Horn  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Antique Horn
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
Any thoughts on this horn? My grandmother bought it from a farmer in Blacksburg, VA in the late 1930’s along with a Virginia Manufactory sword (1820’s), a late 1860’s Ballard’s patent carbine, and a crudely sporterized (shotgun) civil war musket.

It’s pretty big, about 12 inches (w/o plug) and the base is 3x2.5 inches. The adjustable spout may be a later addition but has been on there a long time. It is certainly bigger than you’d need to go hunting. The strap is obviously new.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Smokey Plainsman

Re: Antique Horn
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:40:25 PM »
I think it’s real neat!

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 10:50:09 PM »
A horn that size I always figured was a supply horn that probably hung on the same peg as a pouch and small horn. Probably also carried with a big bore double when the ducks were in. But there’s those here who would know better. Cool horn.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 02:43:56 PM »
 Does that plug in the butt screw in/or pull out?

Tim

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 12:29:01 AM »
Tim - it simply pulls out. Friction fit.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 01:39:28 AM »
Tim - it simply pulls out. Friction fit.

Does it look like there are threads in the butt? Is the butt dished at all, giving it a funnel appearance? Horns that have survived probably went through many uses in their life time. Right now it looks like it may have been a Military horn (or owned by a person that was in the military, hence the shape of the plug) that hat its tip replaced later in life, is that a power measure or shot? Obviously with the wire strap hangers it was carried but the wire loops look to me line they were added, once again later in it's life. I do not think it is big enough to be a storage horn. I hesitate to comment on these because there are so many variables...no offence I but it could have been made last week in...pick a spot.

Tim

PS: There are folks on here that are much more knowledgeable than I. As the saying goes this is
      "MTCW" TC 

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:44:56 AM »
No problem on the comments Tim. The plug is flat, not dished and no signs of threads. For what it is worth the plug is the shape of the horn - the horn was not shaped to the plug. I believe the tip is an adjustable powder flask tip, not a shot tip. I do think it was was added at some point in it's working life.  The horn is nicely made, not rough like some I have seen. Collected "off the farm" in the 1930's by my Grandma so it is at least that old!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:03:41 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 06:16:46 PM »
 Thanks. No matter what it is still a neat unusual horn.

Tim

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »
Just an observation but is the base metal? If so it reminds me of the metal lid from a glass jar. I was that horn could talk, it would be an interesting story.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 12:44:23 AM »
No, the base is definitely wood.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana