Author Topic: Any ideas on this one?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Any ideas on this one?
« on: January 27, 2020, 06:15:18 AM »
Note the interesting stock decoration. This rifle came
Out of the Winston Salem area and has a 45 inch long barrel. It had an old wrist repair that came loose during shipping.

"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Any ideas on this one?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
 I’m really happy to see the ink/paint treatment showing up on original pieces. It kinda lends legitimacy to some of folksy stuff that I’m playing around with on my contemporary pieces.
 Thank you very much for sharing this with us!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
Lock itself obviously converted from flint. Lock may always have been percussion on this rifle, though.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 12:42:48 AM »
The butt profile and general style of the rifle suggests North Carolina to me, in particular the butt's comb with its flattened top edge, thinness, and guard shape with two flats on the outside of bow. The brass nose cap just past the brass rear pipe is also seen in North Carolina. Kind of lines up with where you said the gun came from.  Shelby Gallien

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 02:11:04 AM »
I find the painted decorations very interesting. I think it is an older rifle. I’m going to repair the old break and try to remember to post better photos.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 02:16:09 AM »
Why the decorations? Native American? Hex, folkart? or some bored person and messing with an old rifle?
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 05:43:16 AM »
Similar painted dots are occasionally found on powder horns. Never saw a rifle with this type of decoration. While a somewhat plain gun, it is a very good one. Fits the NC pattern and if so, not sure which region or school. The damage look like easy fixes to produce a really nice piece. Dick