Author Topic: Banded Horn Questions  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Banded Horn Questions
« on: January 28, 2020, 03:55:21 AM »
What’s the normal size for a banded horn?  I bought several nice large horns at the CLA show this year and I’m thinking they are too big.  I made a screw tip horn from a large horn and although I like it,  it’s a bit big.  I have the southern banded horn book but it doesn’t list sizes.  Will I run into problems cutting one of the large horns down to size? 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Banded Horn Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 04:17:43 PM »
What’s the normal size for a banded horn?  I bought several nice large horns at the CLA show this year and I’m thinking they are too big.  I made a screw tip horn from a large horn and although I like it,  it’s a bit big.  I have the southern banded horn book but it doesn’t list sizes.  Will I run into problems cutting one of the large horns down to size?

Mike I would start at about 15" and work my way down. Some folks like larger horns but most of mine are in that range. Try and use a horn with good proportions, to me slender is better. And no you will not have a problem cutting a horn down to size, I cut every one of mine. Sometimes I buy a bigger horns on purpose just because of the shape that is in it. Here's  a couple, the mark on the far right is where I will probably cut them for the tip. The mark on the left is about were they will be trimmed AFTER they are shaped. Finished with butt and tip they will run 12" to 15" or so.

Which book do you have?

Tim   

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:35:21 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:28:03 PM »
Mike, you could do a whole lot worse than listening to Tim Crosby.  He sure knows banded horns. God bless, Marc

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »

Mike I would start at about 15" and work my way down....

Tim

And when you get HERE, stop, and go back the other way....

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »
That’s a little beauty, Bob...any squirrel hunter would be proud to drop that one in a bag or pocket, and hit the woods!  That pewter tip is just too cool!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 07:24:01 PM »
That’s a little beauty, Bob...any squirrel hunter would be proud to drop that one in a bag or pocket, and hit the woods!  That pewter tip is just too cool!

Greg

Thanks Greg. It’s one of Tim Crosby’s. Love it.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 08:18:45 PM »
Sometimes simpler is better. This one is about 12-inches. Goes with my Kibler SMR .40 wherever it goes.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 09:42:11 PM »
Hey Bob, I have one of Tim’s banded horns smaller than that if you can believe it. It is shaped like a gnome’s cap. I love it. 🙂

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 10:33:28 PM »
Hey Bob, I have one of Tim’s banded horns smaller than that if you can believe it. It is shaped like a gnome’s cap. I love it. 🙂

Ok. I didn’t need to know that. Now I’ve got to commission Tim to make me a single charge 4 banded primer. The size of a Tabasco pepper. A ‘forlorn hope’ sort of last charge primer.

Post a pic. I’d love to see it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:57:13 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:37:41 PM »
Btw, I’m a big fan of Tim’s.  I have many horns from several Masters of the HCH,  but there’s something about Tim’s work that is so much more right. He makes solid art but without the arrogance of perfection. There’s a workman-like aspect to his work that is a huge thing to me. ‘Believable’ is his contribution i think. I have a half dozen pieces from him and at least 3 more in his pipeline.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:44:17 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 10:58:36 PM »

Mike I would start at about 15" and work my way down. Some folks like larger horns but most of mine are in that range. Try and use a horn with good proportions, to me slender is better. And no you will not have a problem cutting a horn down to size, I cut every one of mine. Sometimes I buy a bigger horns on purpose just because of the shape that is in it. Here's  a couple, the mark on the far right is where I will probably cut them for the tip. The mark on the left is about were they will be trimmed AFTER they are shaped. Finished with butt and tip they will run 12" to 15" or so.

Which book do you have?

Tim   

Tim,

Thanks for the info.  I have the "Building the Southern Banded Horn" book. Is the black marks where you cut your horns? 

mike

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 11:05:42 PM »
 Good book Mike, if you get a chance take a look at Dr. Jay Hopkins book
Bone Tipped & Banded Horns VoL I In it he gives the measurements of just about every part of each horn. I cannot say enough for the book, without a doubt it is the Best one out there on Banded horns, Southern in general. I am waiting to get Vol II.

Tim

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 11:58:57 PM »
Is vol II in production?  I agree, great book

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 01:39:00 AM »
Is vol II in production?  I agree, great book

Do not quote me but I heard last year that it was, let's hope so, I can't wait.

Tim