Author Topic: Looking for information on Art Holly  (Read 2038 times)

J.A. Wilder

Looking for information on Art Holly
« on: January 28, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »
I'm looking for any information I can get on contemporary rifle maker Art Holly. Places where he was  located, who he may have trained, when he passed and where, any and all info I can find on him.

All responses will be greatly appreciated. I am doing a presentation on him and one of his rifles that he made for my friend Roland Pratt of Michigan. The presentation is for the Son's of the American Revolution, Arizona Society, Prescott Chapter.

Thank you for your time

Offline Jim Spray

Re: Looking for information on Art Holly
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 10:16:05 PM »
Art passed away in Oct. 1974 as close as I can remember. He was living with his wife Erma on Towner ave. in Grand Rapids Mi. at the time of his passing. He was living in the Lansing area when I met him and then moved to GR. He did do some work with Jack Gee if my memory serves me right. That was in the Lansing area also. When I git to know him well he was building quiet a few miniature rifles in the early 70"s and long rifles. John Shippers was doing some if not most of the engraving for him at this time. I roughed out some of his rifles when his health wasn't good near the end of his life. He was a very pleasant man and I'm happy that I got to know and work with him. I think he was from California before moving to Mi.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:38:52 PM by Jim Spray »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 12:15:32 AM »
  First custom flintlock I owned was made by Mr. Holly. Sure wished I still had it...I use to belong to the Metis Muzzeloader club. For several years we held our Art Holly shoot. You had to have a Holly rifle to participate. Arts guns ran the full circle. From poor boy style to full custom with carving an wire inlays. On the barrel and the stock. He was a very kind man.   
   Oldtravler

J.A. Wilder

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Still looking for more info on him if it can be found.

Appreciate any and all responses.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »
  Mr. Wilder give me a day an I will see what more I can find.
Maybe Tom Caster or Majorjoel will chime in.

Oldtravler

J.A. Wilder

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 03:58:04 AM »
Thank you sir, much appreciate your assistance.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »
J.A., Sorry I don't have any documentary information on Mr. Holly. I met him once at a gun show and being from Lansing Mi., I have seen a number of his rifles and heard a bit about him. Art did train Jack Gee of Dimondale, and his cousin Forgus "Forgy" Parks to the "masters" level. Jack started the Michigan Longriflesmiths Guild about 1987 and trained a number of local guys up until his death in 2009. Forgy also helped out from time to time. I believe Forgy is still alive in the Lansing area. Jack talked about Art making him do things over and over again until he got it RIGHT! He tried to pass that on to us. Most of the guys just wanted to build a rifle for themselves. I helped Jack as an instructor for a while and I believe I am the only one from the Guild who is still actively building guns for others. Jack Gee was a very fine craftsman and shooter and was a Judge at Dixon's Gunmakers Fair for a number of years.
Good luck with your presentation

Tom Caster, (also a descendant of a Rev. War soldier from N.Y.)
Tom C.

J.A. Wilder

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 09:59:47 PM »
Thank you for your response, much appreciated. I'll add it to my info file on Art.