Author Topic: Bore Light  (Read 1822 times)

Offline rjpalmer

Bore Light
« on: January 28, 2020, 12:00:45 PM »
Can anyone recommend a bore light suitable for .36 caliber and larger? I’ve heard about a light of some type used for fishing, but don’t know what it’s called or the name of the maker. I would like to be able to check the bores of my rifles periodically. Thanks

Offline WKevinD

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gordy

Re: Bore Light
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:18:30 PM »
Well what works for me can be had at your local Walmart in the Fishing Dept. Look for Thill brand Night Light Bobber LED Light (actual name is Thill Nite Brite I believe). They are available in different colors, and you can turn them on/off. They are small enough diameter to drop into a 30 Cal bore. I have had one in my shootin box for years and still works great, oh and the price is under 5 bucks.
Good Day, Gordy

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 09:46:03 PM »
Yes, those Thill fishing lights are good. Sometimes the come on and won’t go off, but are worth the modest price.  They fit pretty small bores on up.

Offline rkrcpa

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »
I find that a chrome flat head cap screw works very well in conjunction with an LED bore light.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
Also if you hunt with a bow the led lighted nocks would work. They’re probably an expensive option if you don’t already have them.

Offline RichG

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 10:00:38 PM »
erik@hollowpointmold.com Erik has had small bore lights at the Oregon Gunmakers fair in the past , good from .36 and up. Barery operated like the ones CVA sells, just smaller diameter.

Offline Semisane

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 02:49:13 AM »
I searched every Walmart I passed for a year, then searched fishing specific stores in the Indianapolis area. No such bobber light was to be had. Eventually, a local GS sold me a light from Flintlocks LLC. It was expensive at ten bucks but,

It is a solid product.
It fits down my rimfire bores.
I supported a ML vendor.

The website is under construction it says, but it has contact info. http://www.myflintlocks.com

DAve

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 05:20:51 AM »
Fishing section on Walmart by the bobbers.  Made by Thill.  Usually a few bucks a piece. Google Thill bobber lights.  Last time I bought any, eBay was cheapest.  Get a couple.  They can be finicky.  I catfish a lot at night.  I put them on my rod tips so I can see when a rod goes down.

Offline Gemmer

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 07:14:05 AM »
Just bought a couple of the Thill lights at SportsmanWarehouse.